VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Lee, keep posting -- I have same "learning" curve

with my new 5600T, Vizion 385, GTN 650 ----- still have not successfully done a coupled approach. Fortunately, I have a switch that takes the autopilot control away from the EFIS and revert back to the 650 - 385 - CDI interface.

I am having fun learning the new system, and the 5600T is awesome!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS
Very Happy Contributor
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM

Ron: Your system sounds sweet! And, thanks for helping me feel a little better about my lack of knowledge and success so far! Be sure to include selecting [CRS] as noted on page 30 of the AF 5000 Series Pilot Guide in your button sequencing to get the system to display and couple to a flight plan. Once you have a flight plan in the 650, go to the 5600 flight plan page and select source: Should be GNAV1 for the 650. That should bring up flight plan in alphanumeric form. If memory serves, at that point select Course [CRS] and you should see your map page then with a magenta course line and your routing displayed. If you then select GPSS on your autopilot you should be in business. On mine, I selected altitude on the 5600 and set the necessary altitude for the approach there along with the minima for the approach selected. Should do the trick and even level off at minimums unless you decouple and hand fly the final few seconds of the approach to the runway.

Please make sure I don't have that backwards. You may have to select Course first and then GNAV1. I was too busy to write much of this down yesterday and sure enough the winds from Nate were blowing dust all over our runway here in South Carolina so I didn't fly today.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 10-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Will give that a try

I had never pushed the "CRS" button ---

Thanks,

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS
Very Happy Contributor
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM

For sure let me know if that works on your setup/configuration. Appears to be the "missing link" on mine.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 10-09-2017, 05:34 AM

Default Another option

Why not create the flight plan in the AFS and load the approach in the Garmin? Use the AFS for 90% of the flights and then revert to Garmin just for the approaches. Just curious.
Thanks
Cj

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Flying
Twin Comanche Flying
Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Craig, currently what I am doing

I am using the AFS for "enroute", using the heading but, but switch to the 650/385 for approaches -- this works well, in my configuration, but would be nice to work everything off of the 5600 ---- Lee, tried all combinations, this morning --- My "NAV" is armed, but never picks up to follow the flt plan. The "CRS" button did not seem to do anything, navigation-wise.

Since the "NAV" does occasionally pickup, unexpectedly, I am convinced everything is wired right, but to purposefully engage the function, I have not been successful in pushing the correct buttons, in the correct sequence.

Again, I am having a ball playing with the features and amazed at the capabilities -- (burning through my monthly avgas budget!)

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS
Very Happy Contributor
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansc View Post
Ron: Your system sounds sweet! And, thanks for helping me feel a little better about my lack of knowledge and success so far! Be sure to include selecting [CRS] as noted on page 30 of the AF 5000 Series Pilot Guide in your button sequencing to get the system to display and couple to a flight plan. Once you have a flight plan in the 650, go to the 5600 flight plan page and select source: Should be GNAV1 for the 650. That should bring up flight plan in alphanumeric form. If memory serves, at that point select Course [CRS] and you should see your map page then with a magenta course line and your routing displayed. If you then select GPSS on your autopilot you should be in business. On mine, I selected altitude on the 5600 and set the necessary altitude for the approach there along with the minima for the approach selected. Should do the trick and even level off at minimums unless you decouple and hand fly the final few seconds of the approach to the runway.

Please make sure I don't have that backwards. You may have to select Course first and then GNAV1. I was too busy to write much of this down yesterday and sure enough the winds from Nate were blowing dust all over our runway here in South Carolina so I didn't fly today.

Lee...
After selecting CRS, be sure GNAV1 is selected (assumes your 650 is set up in on the Admin Config page). This will populate the course on the map but will not enable driving the AP from the EFIS. In Lee's setup, we simply enabled the AP and let the 530W drive it directly. Enabling or disabling the AP in the 5600 seemed to do nothing when the 530W was driving.

If you attempt to Activate the flight plan in the 5600 (when transferred from the Garmin), it will simply switch to INTFP mode, where (in this case) there was no flight plan. I imagine a duplicate plan could be loaded via FF or similar app (and maybe via the 5600 directly).

It would be nice if there were a way to transfer the 530W flight plan into the 5600 INTFP but this might cause issues with two separate sources driving the AP.
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -

Last edited by Raymo : 10-09-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Ray, thanks

Yes, the 650 FLT PLN is transferred to the 5600 and GNAV1 is selected, and the magenta lines are drawn ---- my only frustration is that my -7A buddy has the same setup (5500, 650, TT385) and he is able to do everything through the 5500----- so, I know it can be done.

I intend to keep playing and trying to locate the right combination.

R.
IO360, 180HP/CS
Very Happy Contributor
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
Yes, the 650 FLT PLN is transferred to the 5600 and GNAV1 is selected, and the magenta lines are drawn ---- my only frustration is that my -7A buddy has the same setup (5500, 650, TT385) and he is able to do everything through the 5500----- so, I know it can be done.

I intend to keep playing and trying to locate the right combination.

R.
Your -7A friend is probably loading the FP into the 5500 via FF or other app. Does he (or do you) have the WiFi dongle for this purpose?
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Default I've Held Off...

I've held off posting on this thread, hoping to see the "magic bullet" for figuring my situation.
About two 5600T software updates back, my system stopped working the way it used to. Before, it would lock on to any flight plan created, whether from the 5600 or the GTN-650, and follow it - rock solid.
After the update in July, I couldn't get the 5600 to lock on any flight plan. Then I was told there was a mod in the software that requires you to be within 30 degrees (or 15%) of the heading desired for the flight plan, in order for the system to lock on and allow the AP to fly the plan.
I've tried getting dead-on the heading - still the system won't lock on the plan. I've tried switching between Track and Heading - nothing works.
Yes, the Lat and Vert are "Armed" but never lock and control the AP.

Needless to say, the manuals are way out of date and useless for trying to figure this out. I've been told Rob H is in the process of re-writing the manuals for all this. BUT, that doesn't alleviate the frustration of having a system that did work now not work. NO, there have been no changes to wiring or set-up. Just the 5600 software updates.

I've volunteered to fly up from S12 (Albany, OR) to KUAO (Aurora, OR) a flight of about 20 minutes to let them see what I'm facing and possibly get some "Oh you need to do this..." guidance. To date, I'm sitting here with a system that does not allow the AP to do what it was intended to do...