Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default AFS EFIS Survival Tips

A famously skilled RV pilot has just asked to borrow your airplane. There are no issues with insurance, and you have no reservations whatsoever about giving him the controls. Yet, you are slightly worried because – alas – he has never operated the type of Glass Cockpit equipment you have installed. Afraid that he might run in to one of those little “traps” that all complex software systems exhibit to the uninitiated, you take a few moments to brief him on the top ten “tricks” you have learned that make flying with your personal EFIS easy and stress-free. We all learn short-cuts and signatures that help us more than the structured manuals ever could - now it is time to share those tips with the rest of the world!

If you have more than a few hours behind the AFS EFIS, how about listing a few of the items you’d share with the finest pilot you’ve ever met if he (or she) was going to fly your plane.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Perfect timing! I just ordered my 4500s and will have to learn what these are for myself. I'm looking forward to reading all the postings.

bob
Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Default Basic tips

1- use button number#1 (first button on left, not the knobs), it will always bring you back to the "home" page where you will end up paging through several pages of "attitude " & "engine" pages. Those are the only pages you need to fly the airplane, all the other pages are for the "Advanced"(no pun intended) pilot user.

2- in addition to the AFS backup battery (30 min)I have an emergency backup switch to send power directly to the AFS screen direct from the main ship battery - show the pilot that switch if installed.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Lock the EFIS in on the 6 pack page and he will have a digital picture of stem gauges
RV-10 flying
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM

I have an older AF3500 with only 1 knob (on the right) so YMMV.

As another poster already stated, the left button will get you back to where you want to be. Don't get too button happy with it, or you will go to far and have to cycle through again. The number of pages displayed varies with user setup.

If you are using the checklists, you will have to press the (right) knob and select baro to change your altimeter setting. If you are on one of the flight pages, the altimeter setting should just be a simple knob turn.

Before you shut the master off, hit checklist, followed by maintenance to see the hour meter so that you can make a note of your time.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.

Last edited by Guy Prevost : 11-02-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Default AF-5600 EFIS

This is what a dual screen AF-5600 EFIS looks like at FL280 and 347 KTAS with our turbine engine display, ground speed was 430mph. The pilot likes the EFIS old school look and turned off the SVN. This is in a Lancair 4P Turbine, in the last year we have done a number of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnOPgC3cQ6k

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10
Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Forum Peruser

You flew right over my house! (Just west of KHSV.)
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 PM

Default New AF-5000 EFIS Video

We just posted a new video showing some of the AF-5000 EFIS features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLko...m-upload_owner

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10
Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Default User Waypoints and Weight&Balance

Hi,

is it possible to enter own waypoints either by panning and "saving" or entering Lat/Long and use them in Flightplans ?

I am failing to add an image of my RV6A to the Weight&Balance page - It's only displaying a RV10 - I created a BPM file with an image and renamed as described in the manual, but no joy on it.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Maybe I don't understand how this is supposed to work at all, so pardon me if this question proves it!

1. I can generate a flight plan including an approach procedure on my 530W and xfer it to my 5600. On the 5600 it shows up as an alphanumeric list showing all the waypoints but I cannot get it to display on the Map on the 5600. What am I doing wrong and what don't I understand?

2. I cannot find anywhere a comprehensive tutorial either in writing or in a video that shows in detail the 5600 "buttonology" associated with generating and flying a complex flight plan (departure procedures, en route, approach plate usage, and LPV or similar final approach. Can all of that only be done on my 530? As above, I can't even "follow along" on my 5600 except in a general way, without routing, distances, bearing, etc. Any help there?

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying