VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Default swap out

I removed a subaru and installed a lycoming. No issues that I can recall, just had to rip out all the wiring to it, and patch up some unused firewall penetrations. The most painful part was the lost time and money playing with the subaru kit, which was not fully cooked when I bought it. I learned a lot!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 AM

I have a friend who built an RV9A and is currently on his seventh Subaru engine
unfortunately he hasn't seen the light yet.
Bruce
Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
I have a friend who built an RV9A and is currently on his seventh Subaru engine
unfortunately he hasn't seen the light yet.
Bruce
I know it's "experimental" aviation, but surely there comes a time when the experiment has run to completion and the results have been analyzed and written up?

- mark
Old 10-13-2017, 04:39 AM

a little off topic.......i had always thought the sub conversion failure was driven by a bad package put together by one company. reading these posts it seems like a lot of engine related failures. is the subaru engine not up to the task?
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 447BB View Post
Seeking advice from others that have made the switch. N447BB first flight cut very short when Subaru 2.5L suffered sudden internal failure. Fortunately airplane and pilot safe in a nearby cow pasture.

Have decided to not repair the Sube, but will instead install a conventional Lycoming.
Welcome to the club, Bill.

It's a lot of work and more money but what the heck, a pilot has to keep on flyin'.

Good job flying the airplane into the crash.

dd
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoffs View Post
a little off topic.......i had always thought the sub conversion failure was driven by a bad package put together by one company. reading these posts it seems like a lot of engine related failures. is the subaru engine not up to the task?
The Subby is an excellent engine - in a car.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
RV-3 ....fan

Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
I know it's "experimental" aviation, but surely there comes a time when the experiment has run to completion and the results have been analyzed and written up?

- mark
...the results were analyzed and written off, not up.
Only took two for me to see the light.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
RV-3 ....fan

Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 AM

William, I am sorry to hear of your Subaru experience. As you can see there are MANY others who have gone down this path before you. I had five flights with my Crossflow Subaru RV7. ALL were emergencies. The longest flight was a minute and a half. By the end of the fifth, my fire extinguisher was empty. I called my friends and they had an intervention -- the engine was pulled in less than an hour. It was hard at first to get over the punch in the gut feeling, and of course the big checks I had written and lost. I bought a new Aerosport I/O-360 M1B, and the transition was pretty smooth. As others have said , you now have a good return fuel system and probably a robust electrical setup. Lean forward and press on. You'll be flying trouble free soon with the peace of mind in knowing you have a proven power-plant up front.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:58 AM

I expected this thread to degenerate into a slam the Subie slant which it unfortunately has somewhat. If you don't like them, fine, don't use them.

The OP had a failure, cause unknown, and now he's changing out the engine for a Lycoming- a path also followed by dozens before. If you have something useful to post which would help him make the switch, post away. His decision to change has already been made.

BTW, to counter the negative views of the engine, maybe some of you folks should look at the record of my friend Russell Sherwood in SARL. He's repeatedly destroyed all the Lycoming powered aircraft in his class with his Subaru EG33 powered Glasair many times over the last few years. That's with only 202 cubic inches against 360 and even some 540 powered aircraft. He's nearing 600 hours on it now. He won the "Kick Butt" award at the 2017 Texoma SARL race as well. Can't be a complete *** if it's destroying the mighty Lycomings having almost double (or triple) the displacement. Russell has 5 SARL class wins with 5 races entered- this year alone- "Yesterday the 2017 Indy Air Race took place. This was a challenging race course … there were two energy eating 140 degree turns. I thought this course would cut into our speeds. I made a few drag reducing adjustments and we turned our best time yet. Our Subaru EG33 not only took first in our class but we took first over all racers. Our average speed over the 133 nautical mile closed circuit was 256.66 MPH. The best the competition could muster was 228.73 MPH.
Who is it that says an auto engine can’t sustain continuous high RPM?
We love our Subaru!"

Russell's engine is bone stock except for a low profile, composite intake manifold.

Don't blame engine failures on the engine itself until you know the facts. Most "failures" are caused by improper fuel and spark timing settings or poorly designed ancillaries like PSRUs. The CrossFlow packages as a whole were complete disasters but there was nothing wrong with the core engine design as hundreds of other flying Subarus have proven.

Lycomings suffer catastrophic failures too. Any engine can fail...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 415.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 10-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Ross - there have been several posts here which indicated the Subie fuel system might be a good starting point for a modern electronic ignition/injection Lycoming. Given your experience, and the awful feeling the OP must currently be experiencing, maybe it would be a good idea to brighten up his day by giving a practical analysis of the suitability of the Subie fuel system as a building block for a modern electronic system? I doubt there are any others on this forum with as much experience in this particular arena so I'm sure any info you can share would brighten the OP's day a little bit.