- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 AM

Default RV10 - Project Planning - When to order Engine\Finish Kit

I am probably 6-12 months away from finishing the fuselage kit and starting to planning finances and timing for finish kit and engine. I am not yet certain where I will order the engine from so not sure of the lead time for that item.

Questions

1) How much work is there to done (hours) on the finish kit that does not require engine to be hung?

2) I am building in my basement so I want to keep if off the gear as long as possible as it will not fit out my basement with the gear on. Is it possible advisable to mount the engine without the gear in place? (Keep it on a cradle with engine?)

Steve

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve murray View Post
1) How much work is there to done (hours) on the finish kit that does not require engine to be hung?
If it helps you any, we logged our time by sections here
http://n42bu.com/
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM

If ordering a Lycoming order it now. It took mine just over 6 months to get here despite Van's 12 week lead time on their website. Ordered at Sun-N-Fun, arriving today. If you order through Vans you will pay a deposit and then the balance before it ships.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Finish kit

Depending on you work speed there is several hundred hours of work in the finish kit. The biggest single task is the doors.

I went to the finish kit as soon as the fuselage structure was near complete in order to add the doors and seats to get a feel for the ergonomics of switch placement, overhead clearance and getting the wiring well under way.
I would love to have the engine in place to get the balance of the sensor wiring complete before I close the front top skin and bond in the windows. That will likely not happen due to timing of funds and my desire to continue working.

I still don't have the gear on, but am getting close. (just like I havn't bonded the windows in yet) It is just so much easier to work on/in the fuselage with it low to the floor. The flip side is there is a lot of work in the gear, brakes and wheel pants to get done. I don't like the idea of 50+K worth of engine and prop gathering dust while I plug away at the gear.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
Depending on you work speed there is several hundred hours of work in the finish kit. The biggest single task is the doors.
Leo, I think I will be following a similar approach.

Does anyone know the maximum lateral swing dimensions of the door as it opens and final vertical dimension once they are fully open (Referenced to the door sill --F1015-C - Mid Cabin Deck) I am trying to figure out if I could work on the doors in my basement but I may have some height\width limitations in my workshop ....?

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Default Door swing

The doors are approximately 2 feet above the fuselage/cabin top and 1 foot out from the fuselage side when fully open. (a little less on each) The swing envelope is all within those dimensions.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017

Last edited by leok : 10-13-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: correct syntax