- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Default Nose Fork Replacement

I am reviewing the threads that are dealing with the nose fork failures and the service bulletin 16-05-23 and seeing a need for a searchable thread on installing the replacement fork. There is lots of information but it is scattered around. So, copying my two posts on the replacement kits and installation to this new thread.

Replacing the fork is not required under the SB unless cracks are found.

Here are the two upgrade kits. The blue bracket parts on the right are the wheel fairing kit needed to adapt the nose wheel fairing to the new fork.

This fork is one beefy hunk of metal alright. Some have said it is ugly, but it looks good to me; I like it. It will be inside the fairing anyway most of the time.

I notice that the design of the axle has been changed so the axle bolt can now be torque tightened without danger of over-tightening the pressure on the wheel bearings. The wheel is kept centered in the fork by 2 wavy washers on each side. Nice change.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-09-2017, 03:29 PM

This post is a copy of my post #8 in Don's "Birthday Present" thread.

I should have this completed this week and will post photos of the installed fork and fairing conversion.

Like many others on the forum I decided to install the new fork preemptively. I just finished servicing my nose wheel fork last month and it looks fine.

However, from photos of the failed forks, and a mangled one I have seen first hand, the old design just crumples when it fails. I really think the failures are due to neglect and abuse, but an off runway excursion is always a possibility for any pilot.

I am pretty much a Buschite and am a little ashamed of pulling off and replacing a perfectly good part and probably would not if the fork were not hidden in the wheel fairing. But I'll feel a lot better having this bruiser of a fork in there. Just in case
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Replaced mine a few weeks ago just to be more robust for some transition training I'm helping folks with and to eliminate the periodic crack inspections. Very nice piece that should take any flight training abuse. I believe it is stronger than the updated A forks for the heavier RVs. Easy install, only complaint is that Vans does not supply the rivets for the new aluminum pieces for the nose fairing. Plans call for #40 pulled rivets and you can not squeeze so I just got out my left over rivets from the 9 and the rivet gun and bucking bars. I know others that had to do a quick Aircraft Spruce order for countersunk pulled #40 rivets.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV over 200 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 10-09-2017, 07:25 PM

A quote in the back ground of one of the thread photos motivated me to create this image

Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Installed the new heavy duty nose wheel fork. Easy work and no surprises. I used waterproof boat trailer grease on the bushings, new belleville cupped washers and a new bull nut.

When I tried to disassemble the old axle I found it was partially frozen to the inner bearing races. Using application of anti-corrosion spray I was able to work the axle out of the bearings. When turned with the fingers the bearings felt rough to me. This was probably due to running the front wheel with the axle nut too tight and putting sideways pressure on the bearings right after the airplane was first flown. This was corrected but I think it resulted in wearing the bearings. Anyway, I replaced them. With the new fork design you can torque tighten the axle bolt without putting pressure on the bearings. Very nice.

Nose wheel installed on the new fork.

To convert the nose wheel fairing you have to drill off these old mounting brackets and install new.

Ran out of time today, but took the fairing home from the hangar to do the riveting on the new brackets.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post
only complaint is that Vans does not supply the rivets for the new aluminum pieces for the nose fairing. Plans call for #40 pulled rivets and you can not squeeze so I just got out my left over rivets from the 9 and the rivet gun and bucking bars. I know others that had to do a quick Aircraft Spruce order for countersunk pulled #40 rivets.
It was an accidental oversight and I am pretty sure this has just been corrected and all of the needed hardware is now supplied.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Bracket riveting to forward wheel fairing. The plans call for using the #40 flat head cherry rivets to attach these brackets but I don't have a good working relationship with those little devils so used solids. Those are the cherries mentioned in the previous post. They are probably spec'd because the standard 3" yoke from the RV12 tool kits won't work over the wide flange. You can gun the solids or use a flange yoke if you have one. The kit also didn't include new nut plates; you could reuse the old ones but I had new ones on hand.

RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 10-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Tony -

Van's added a doubler to the original fairing brackets. Does the new design have doubler plates?
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Yes there are doubler plates. They are visible in post #1. I will be adding the doubler plates and finishing up this nose fork replacement probably tomorrow.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 PM

I think Iíll do this at annual. What are the kit part numbers for the fork and fairing brackets?