- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Photo/Video URLs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Default Fall flight of 3 in Maine going to visit a RV14 build in Rangeley

Flight of 3 RV out of Belfast went on a Saturday mission to visit Allan’s RV14 build in Rangeley. Took off and then low ceilings diverted us as we got close to the mountain range, so we headed south for breakfast. Colors are just beginning to get bright on the trees. After breakfast we flew the valley and over to the lake at Rangeley where Allan picked us up at 8B0. We headed to his shop where he is building his RV14.

Then lunch after looking at his workmanship.

Pretty day for flying except it got windy on our way out flying out the valley, but all in all it was a great day and good meeting Allan.

Allan Keep pounding those rivets!

Short Video of the flight to Rangeley

https://youtu.be/tzxegBs3hbs
david@rv12pilot.com
2018 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik

Last edited by Dvalcik : 10-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Well, I've been found out here in the "Hideout"....... Long time 'Lurker' to this awesome forum - (dues paid). This seemed like the appropriate thread to make my first post.

I had a great visit from Dave, Pete & Pete from Belfast Maine yesterday to my humble shop here in the remote Western Mountains of Maine (K8B0). Great guys! It was really good to have another set of eyes look over my work thus far. They had excellent advice. Steep learning curve on my end, but I am truly enjoying it!!

I have wanted to build an RV for years, and have been working towards that end, (an obsession maybe)? Talked with many other builders, attended OSH last summer, and have even met Vlad several times! I finally pulled the trigger after setting up the "Hideout" shop here in Rangeley where we live half the year. (My wife was wondering what took me so long......a good sign). I received the Empennage late spring and have worked through the VS, Rudder, and now the HS.

Years of reading threads here have helped with a myriad of techniques, ideas, and advice. My many thanks to all who share information!

Al "Bungalow" Brownlow
RV14 - N613LA Reserved
"If we're not having fun, we're not doing it right"
Old 10-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Hey guys,

Looks like you had a great time up there. I was hoping to be there this weekend but someone had rented my house for the weekend.

Al, you have made some progress since my last visit. You are doing GREAT work! Keep it up! I like the call sign also!!!

Dave, now that you know your way up there, stop by often! We could coerce the Russian to join us!?!

You guys should come down to Plymouth sometime soon too!

Keep in touch!

CJ
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalow Al View Post
Well, I've been found out here in the "Hideout"....... Long time 'Lurker' to this awesome forum - (dues paid). This seemed like the appropriate thread to make my first post.

I had a great visit from Dave, Pete & Pete from Belfast Maine yesterday to my humble shop here in the remote Western Mountains of Maine (K8B0). Great guys! It was really good to have another set of eyes look over my work thus far. They had excellent advice. Steep learning curve on my end, but I am truly enjoying it!!

I have wanted to build an RV for years, and have been working towards that end, (an obsession maybe)? Talked with many other builders, attended OSH last summer, and have even met Vlad several times! I finally pulled the trigger after setting up the "Hideout" shop here in Rangeley where we live half the year. (My wife was wondering what took me so long......a good sign). I received the Empennage late spring and have worked through the VS, Rudder, and now the HS.

Years of reading threads here have helped with a myriad of techniques, ideas, and advice. My many thanks to all who share information!

Al "Bungalow" Brownlow
RV14 - N613LA Reserved
"If we're not having fun, we're not doing it right"
Welcome to the journey!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Congratulations to Bungalow

After watching a couple of David's YouTube vids, I know you guys could give a Virginian some recommendations on places to take the wife on our first trip to Maine. We're proposing to fly the 6A the last weekend in October for a 3-4 day stay. Friends have recommended Camden. She likes antiques, primitives, fall colors, and the Outer Banks. What would you recommend for first-timers on a somewhat short schedule?

Thanks, gentlemen.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 AM

Fly into KRKD Rockland Me. Rockland is just South of Camden. Camden and Rockland are wonderful towns to stroll in. Great galleries, antique shops and restaurants. Try the Rockland Cafe for lunch. My favorite spot for steamers.
West Chester Pa

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]=VAF= Paid up 2017[/color]
Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Bill,

I rent my house in Rangeley if you are interested.

Shoot me a pm for details.

CJ
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Default Thanks, guys!

Just starting my research this morning on Rockland. Looks very promising.

Is it just me, or is the typical Maine cabin built without any insulation in the walls or ceiling? Knowing what I _think_ I do of the climate, I'm sure the Trip Advisor pics are playing tricks on me.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation...omb_Maine.html

Old 10-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Just starting my research this morning on Rockland. Looks very promising.

Is it just me, or is the typical Maine cabin built without any insulation in the walls or ceiling? Knowing what I _think_ I do of the climate, I'm sure the Trip Advisor pics are playing tricks on me.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation...omb_Maine.html

Bill our Belfast Lobster flyin is Mid Sept. We had bad weather this year and only 12 RV were able to get in, but year before we had 50+ for that flyin. With a large number coming in for the Friday dinner.

See Bob”s trip write up below

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...hlight=Belfast

Shoot me a email and I can help find a location, the house is full for the flyin, but if you come later or stay after we have room.
david@rv12pilot.com
2018 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 10-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Default I feel like I've really hijacked this thread

But anyway... we'd be in Maine October 26-29 if it goes as planned.

Researching a proposed route on AirNav, I came across this notation for a little airport that looked like a halfway point refueling stop:

- COLD TEMPERATURE RESTRICTED AIRPORT. ALTITUDE CORRECTION REQUIRED AT OR BELOW -24C/-11F.

This has me scratching my head and sifting through ancient aeronautical knowledge for an explanation of why an altimeter reading at an airport would need correction for cold temps. Literally never seen that before. What am I missing?