- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Why not use a castellated nut and cotter key with one of these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#nut-caps/=19n20q2
You need to keep the cotter pin from catching in shoe laces, etc. If the plastic cover shown at the bottom of your reference will fit snugly over the cotter pin, it may be a good option. (Harder to inspect the actual hardware, though).
I have never had an issue. It may be because, with short legs, I mounted my rudder pedals in the aft position, which then requires a shorter link, which moves the cotter pin closer to the soles of my shoes, away from socks and shoelaces.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:56 PM

I'd vote for the castellated nut with 0.062 (or bigger) safety wire.

Houston
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

It's amazing to me that someone would post that they are using nylocs in place of castellated nuts because they look better! These are airplanes we are talking about and the use of non-standard hardware on flight controls is not really acceptable. It is also wrong. There are lots of ways to solve the problem of a cotter key snagging your foot. Just because it has worked for 150 hours is not really good proof of anything. We still see AD's on a fleet with millions of hours.

And what about the unsuspecting second owner who buys the airplane? Is there a preflight check list item for checking the rudder cable bolts for security?

There are a lot of first-time builders on this site that look for guidance. Please be mindful of that. 😀

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Default not a split pin..

.040 safety wire would be the best solution around those particular fasteners. Make the tail long enough to wrap around the nut, and cover with RTV. Keep an eye on it too - while you are boarding is easy enough.

The cable coming loose from the pedal is a too-common occurrence in the other RV models...as Mr Cross has related.

Best,
Mark
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Trying to understand

I know the standard and accepted practice is castellated nut and cotter pin as per plans. I have used that in my own construction for this reason. I am not questioning the validity of the aforementioned.

What I don't understand is how it will be possible for the nylock nut to separate from the bolt in this installation. The complete nut/bolt assembly is free turning in this installation. I cannot visualize a force that will hold either the nut or the bolt, at the same time apply a force on the other side that will unscrew the nylock nut. You need a wrench on both ends to separate or install to overcome the friction of the nylock nut.

Again, I'm not trying to change accepted practices. Only trying to understand a situation as described.

Thanks.

Johan
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 PM

I too would like to know how this application will cause a nyloc nut to rotate on the bolt. Just looking to learn something here.

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM

While I would agree it is unlikely the nyloc would magically rotate off the bolt, if there was a side load caused by a foot or ? holding the steel joiner, it might cause the nut to turn on the bolt as the pedal was depressed. Given enough cycles, who knows. Long shot in my mind, but....
There are quite a few areas in the RV construction that one could argue no harm could come by not following convention, but there are also quite a few that are critical.
"Good practice" is just that. There may be hidden concerns that are not obvious to any of us until they bite.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

JonJay hit the nail on the head. It's hard for one to imagine howa fiber nut could fail in this particualr case. But keep in mind the fleet is young. Who knows what happens over the years as the fleet ages, bolts corrode, fiber in the nuts gets brittle, etc. That's why it is best to use an accepted best practice.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 10-04-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Well said Vic & Jon.

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Alternate cotter pin installation

This method leaves no ends to snag. The eye can be brought in much closer than pictured so it barely protrudes past the castellations.

http://cdn.kitplanes.com/media/newsp...-safety-06.jpg

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P