- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 06:04 AM

Default G3X cool buttonology?

With the Garmin systems, what cool things can you do with a switch/button so far as controlling the system without the touch screen? Thinking about panel buttons and stick buttons. The PFD/MFD inputs don't seem to have anything switchable.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Garmin Webinar

Garmin put together a greater webinar on the G3X Touch's buttonolgy. I suggest giving it a watch (link below). They also cover with the soft key's on the bezel do, as well as what things like the GMC/305/307 can do

https://youtu.be/b3V4ZeCi4Oo
RV-14A (N214WJ) - Flying since Sept 2017
RV-7A (N211WJ) Flying since 2009 (SOLD)
RV-7A (N132RD) bought flying 2014 (SOLD)

KPUJ (Silver Comet Field)
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jmsolomon2000

RV-14 Build Log: http://rv14.jaredsolomon.net
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
With the Garmin systems, what cool things can you do with a switch/button ... thinking about panel buttons and stick buttons.
Im sure there are some things exposed. For example “control wheel steering (CWD)” and “take-off go-around” (TOGA)”. Most things require an external module such as the auto-pilot controller or the discreet inputs module or engine module.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 PM

I do not own a G3X yet but have read the manual before I installed / upgraded to G5s in my RV-6.

There is one box / module that can have the stick trim controls run in and then use airspeed data to slow trim motor speed. The box / module also allows the trim position be displayed on the G3X. Just one thing I remember that can save buying and connection up a lot of separate modules.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:16 AM

Already mentioned but the autopilot controllers (GMC 305/307) are "must have" devices that give you quick and easy button/knob access to all autopilot functions including the "blue button" that can save your bacon or at least buy some time. A passenger can easily understand how to gain control quickly by using the blue button in case of pilot incapacitation.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:02 AM

All good stuff. I was interested too in what in the system could be controlled by panel or stick buttons/switches... I think com swap is one but I haven't found it in the docs yet. TOGA and CWS are buttonable.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Great thread. Some input on the questions/comments:
  • Just to be clear, the G3X/G3X Touch autopilot doesn't require a dedicated mode controller. With the original G3X, most modes are available through the display interface. With G3X Touch, all modes are selectable through the display including level mode. Now there are functions of the autopilot that require a separate switch like AP disconnect and CWS. And we would also recommend a breaker for power to the servos as outlined in the manual.
  • Having a dedicated autopilot controller is extremely handy and it provides some backup autopilot control capability you wouldn't otherwise have. If you're going to be using the autopilot a lot, say for flying approaches, its highly recommended to put a GMC 305 or 307 in.
  • Some other cool things you can do with a separate external switch. You can make your own button for level mode. And you can use a separate switch to arm/disarm our electronic stability protection (ESP-X) functionality. They just require use of one of the configurable discrete inputs.
  • The box you mention that can handle trim inputs is called the GAD 27. It will allow you to mix the pilot/co-pilot trim inputs. However, it doesn't handle the display of trim position. Position information is taken in by the GEA 24, our engine/airframe interface box. In addition to the trim input mixing, the GAD 27 also can provide up to 6 channels of interior lighting circuits (DC and PWM), it can provide power and wig-wag function for the taxi and landing lights, it can provide a short term power stabilizer output to key avionics (for engine cranking), additional 9 configurable discrete inputs, and a programmable flap controller!

Regards,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Great thread. Some input on the questions/comments:
  • Some other cool things you can do with a separate external switch. You can make your own button for level mode. And you can use a separate switch to arm/disarm our electronic stability protection (ESP-X) functionality. They just require use of one of the configurable discrete inputs.
Brian, can you elaborate on where the discrete inputs are? As I recall, there are more than on “box” which can provide them.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Brian, you said:[*]The box you mention that can handle trim inputs is called the GAD 27. It will allow you to mix the pilot/co-pilot trim inputs. However, it doesn't handle the display of trim position. Position information is taken in by the GEA 24, our engine/airframe interface box. In addition to the trim input mixing, the GAD 27 also can provide up to 6 channels of interior lighting circuits (DC and PWM), it can provide power and wig-wag function for the taxi and landing lights, it can provide a short term power stabilizer output to key avionics (for engine cranking), additional 9 configurable discrete inputs, and a programmable flap [/quote]

Will the G3x, the GAD27, or the GEA 24 provide speed-selectable limits on trim speed, like the Safety Trim system Van's sells? I understand that is important and I am currently determining just how broke Stein is going to make me . . .
Old 09-29-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Brian, can you elaborate on where the discrete inputs are? As I recall, there are more than on “box” which can provide them.
Discrete inputs are available on the GEA 24 and the GAD 27. The GAD 27 has 9. the GEA has 4 standard but also has an option to take advantage of some unused general purpose inputs. Details in the installation manual Figure 29-2.2, Rev AB.

Regards,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.