VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-27-2017, 06:18 AM

Default Canopy release

I know that this has likely been discussed before but the RV14 is a bit different then the other RVs in regard to the canopy release. It would be nice to have a discussion about what will happen if you feel the need to pull that emergency canopy release.
Should this be done only at very low airspeeds, just before touch down?
Do you release the main canopy latch first?

Assuming that the unlatched canopy rises a few inches, as has been demonstrated with other models, when you pull the emergency release what are the chances that this thing will come back and hit the occupants.

What if you release the forward pins before the aft latch? Would the canopy then lift up and flip back without hitting occupants?

Under what circumstances would you pull the release and why?

Smoke or fire in cockpit?

Water landing?

Having a release handle in an aircraft comes with some responsibilities. One would really regret making your outcome worse by pulling the handle!!

I worry about some kid or child like adult just pulling the handle because it looks like something that should be pulled. To that end I have added some brass safety wire from the handle to the panel. I have tested it and it takes a sharp pull to break the wire but it might stop a random curiosity or accidental pull of the release.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 09-27-2017, 06:25 AM

Default Pin

I drilled a hole in the release handle on the backside of the panel. I place a clip in the hole while the canopy is open. The clip is for when I have passengers for non-aerobatic flight. I only remove the clip for aerobatics.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 50+
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM

I have done a similar thing as Marvin. Since I haven't done and don't plan on doing aerobatics in the 14 anytime soon, I have the handle placarded as 'Canopy release handle, maintenance use only'.

If I do decide to do aerobatics, the bolt is removable, and I could substitute a release pin to be used for non aerobatic flight. I did not like the idea of the canopy being able to be released without parachutes being worn. It's my belief that if the canopy is released it may very well take out the VS and Rudder or the entire tail.

My opinion is if the handle is pulled you must plan on jumping from the aircraft, so the handle should not be able to be pulled unless you are wearing parachutes. Installing or releasing the pin would be a simple process that could be a checklist item.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM

For the guys that are not having the canopy release handle protrude through the panel, what are you doing?

I also have a fear of placing it on the panel and that kids may grab it.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
My opinion is if the handle is pulled you must plan on jumping from the aircraft, so the handle should not be able to be pulled unless you are wearing parachutes.
That is the design intent of the release handle.

Because the airplane is approved for aerobatics, it is to proved a means of exiting the airplane to use the chute that is required for each passenger (unless solo).

I personally would never pull the jettison handle in flight for any other purpose.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
That is the design intent of the release handle.

Because the airplane is approved for aerobatics, it is to proved a means of exiting the airplane to use the chute that is required for each passenger (unless solo).

I personally would never pull the jettison handle in flight for any other purpose.
One might use this in the tragic event of ditching, once stopped. I removed my canopy once after installed and you have to pull quite hard and far out so it would have to be deliberate.

Last edited by Ron B. : 09-27-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
One might use this in the tragic event of ditching, once stopped. I removed my canopy once after installed and you have to pull quite hard and far out so it would have to be deliberate.
Very possible. That is why I said I wouldn't use it in flight (unless planning to exit with a chute).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
For the guys that are not having the canopy release handle protrude through the panel, what are you doing?

I also have a fear of placing it on the panel and that kids may grab it.
A very good question, one that I have been thinking about. In my 7, I did not extend the handle beyond the subpanel for the very same reason. I wonder if there is a safety mechanism in place that it can not be pulled accidentally (other than the pin in the back) which makes it impossibly to pull if in place and canopy closed.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM

If it's a real concern to you, then add something like you see on fire extinguishers, etc. a 2ndary safety pin on the cabin side of the panel, so a 2 step process is required to jettison. Pull the safety, then pull the handle. At least it would improve the odds of noticing a passenger's actions before disaster strikes.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:16 PM

I see a number of finished RV-14's out there with no canopy release handle .. is there any among you who have done that and if so what were your thoughts and how did you handle the release mechanism?
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit