VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > VAF Classifieds (posts in here deleted after 30 days)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 AM

Default 1994 Vans RV4 for sale in CT. All offers considered.

Hi all,

Today I am sadly putting my RV up for sale. This is just a first step and I'm not really sure about the process. I've been procrastinating doing this for about (no joke ) 8 years.

But it has to go. So I'm accepting that I'm not going to get the plane spiffed up and ready to sell and am just selling it as-is.

The plane is a 1994 RV4 with a 150 hp 0320 with roughly 1100 hours. It has not flown in 9 years, but was put away properly with storage oil and desicant in the spark plugs.

I got it running this month with nothing more than new oil, new fuel and a new battery. It fired right up and ran well.

Youtube video of first startup, shutdown and taxi to wash bay.
https://youtu.be/CQFC4u03c6Y

Here are some details.

1) Bernie Warnke laminated prop. Very efficient.
2) Vetterman exhaust. No cracking. No hassles. Sounds great.
3) Dynon D10 EFIS
4) 4 point harnesses front and rear
5) Garmin / UPSAT radio
6) Well equipped for VFR flight.
7) Harmonic damper. Smooths things out and shifts CG forward a bit, which is helpful in RV4s.
8) PS Engineering panel mount intercom with pilot isolate and music input. Plane is wired with aux in jack for phone or music.
9) Horizon P-1000 digital tachometer. https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/pr...70-p-1000.aspx http://www.horizoninstruments.com
10) Leather seats and rear seat side panels by FlightLine interiors. (see new photos)

Here is what it needs to fly away to your home.
1) a thorough annual inspection.
2) transponder is flakey and needs a recert. There is an aviation repair shop on the field, Stellar Avionics. Also, I have a friend on the field with a fresh yellow tagged Narco Transponder who will sell it to me for $275

That's it. When it was put away it was running and flying great.

There is an experimental friendly AI on the field at Chester, (SNC) We did owner assisted annuals for the entire time I flew this plane.

When I was flying, flying was my life. This little bird was used 1-2 times per week. Every week. In the evenings I'd clean it and maintain it.

It is a simple plane with little of the electronics that modern planes have. Although it does have a Dynon E10 EFIS. Its well equipped for VFR flight and has the instruments to fly in IMC in an emergency. I have flown dozens of GPS approaches in this plane under the hood.

Which leads me to what needs to be done for the plane to be really "right".

1) Dynon EFIS probably needs a new backup battery by now.
2) The Davtron panel mount chronometer most definitely needs a new battery.
3) I removed the aluminum gear fairings and small wheel pants to upgrade to the new style fiberglass fairings and "large" wheel pants. I never finished fitting these items. I have both of the new items as well as the old gear fairings, but I gave the old pants away.
4) some of the piano hinge that holds the upper and lower cowl together has lost some "teeth". This doesn't need to be done, but it was something that would make things neater.

I have a TON of extras that I can include with the plane if the buyer wants. Basically its everything you would need to fly one of these things including tools, spares, headsets, a handheld GPS, chocks, etc. I've even got a seat parachute if you want to fly aerobatics or formation.

I may even have a set of rear seat rudder pedals. These aren't great but are an excellent temporary install for if you want to fly with an instructor. When I got the plane my insurance company required 10 hours of instructed time in type before they would indemnify me solo. This allowed an instructor to do everything but brake from the rear seat.

Zero accident history. I bought it in 2000 and have owned it since.

It also has basic nav lights and a strobe for legal night flying.

Radio is what I consider to be the absolute best radio for a light simple plane. Its a garmin SL40 Its small and light and allows you to monitor the standby channel, which is great when operating in Class B or C airspace.

I'll post more. This is a work in progress.

I'm not sure how much I want for it, but I'm thinking $30K. Again. It needs an annual, but should need little more. My owner assisted annuals ran me about $300-$500/yr.

I'll also include 4 months of hangar rental in the sale price if you need it. During that time, I'll be clearing my other stuff out of the hangar.

If anyone wants to comment on the price, if you think its too high, or too low, or anything significant I've missed, please feel free. No offense is taken.

Regarding photos. I have HUNDREDS of photos of this plane taken over the years. I'm working to put them into a Onedrive folder. I will provide a link shortly.

Thanks,

Don Mei

Link to Photo folder
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtWg9w8d-b1ug69kQd-PJhXtco4aGA

Thanks for looking.

*****12 Oct 2017 Update*****

I finally made it down to the airport and spent the better part of the day clearing out the hangar and getting the plane running.

All it took was:
1) new oil
2) new fuel
3) new battery

With these three items, the plane fired right up.

Here is a video of this first startup, running and shutdown. Later I taxi'd over to wash the plane. That is tacked at the end of the video.

Its obvious how rusty I am. Wow. I forgot to yell "Clear!!" on the first startup. But it was also amazing how quickly a lot of it came back. Back when I was flying 3 time / week, I could put my hands on every control, fuse, and switch without even looking.

https://youtu.be/CQFC4u03c6Y

By the way. I'm not 4 feet tall. I've removed the interior so I wouldn't get it dirty while working on the plane. So i was sitting on the floor.

Last edited by donmei : 10-14-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Tempted to take a look at the link..... but it just does not look right.

OK..... It works fine.
VAF #897
2016 =VAF= Dues PAID

Last edited by gasman : 09-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Link works fine. Man up!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Link works. Nice looking aircraft.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Beautiful RV4!

Good Luck With The Sale
Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Nice plane.

Good luck. Let us know how she runs up when you start it.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Sent you private message. Am interested in plane and would like your contact information.

Last edited by Brockster : 09-29-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!! Want!!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Wink RV-4 FOR SALE

Don

If it is as nice as the pictures shown it, it is definitly price too low..This is a nice RV-4..

The cost of the engine and kit is way more than that..

Do yourself a favor....ask for more

Bruno
rv-4 owner...
Old 09-26-2017, 03:11 PM

I think price is spot on, however, I wouldn't consider handing over cash until I pulled a cylinder during the prebuy to inspect for corrosion. Otherwise I would assume the engine to be a core and offer such. Sitting for 9 years has taken its toll. I'm sure as at a bare minimum almost anything rubber will need replaced.