- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 AM

Default Prefered 6A Auto Pilot

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 6A. It does not have an auto pilot and I would like to install one. What does everyone recommend for an AP to be installed in a flying aircraft. I have been looking at the Trutrak Gemini.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 07:51 AM
hall monitor

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your new -6!

You will not receive a consensus on "which autopilot to buy". This is like asking "Which car should I buy?"

Fortunately, all the digital autopilots on the market today (Tru-Trak, Trio, Dynon, etc) work very nicely, it is a mature technology. It is just a matter of selecting the features you want and how you want it to integrate with the other devices in your present or future panel.

Enjoy your new autopilot!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the good word Sam. I guess I am more looking for what A/P is the easiest to install in an aircraft already flying. I'm not sure of the best locations of the servos.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
Thanks for the good word Sam. I guess I am more looking for what A/P is the easiest to install in an aircraft already flying. I'm not sure of the best locations of the servos.
I don't think there will be a significant difference in difficulty of installation between the various autopilots. It is a job anyone with experience working on aircraft can accomplish without much stress, just takes some time. I have found running the wiring harnesses through a completed airframe is sometimes the most challenging part of the installation. All the major autopilot vendors will have servo mounting kits for the RV-6A.

But I suggest putting much higher priority on how the autopilot integrates with your mission and panel than ease of installation. The installation occurs once, living with the autopilot occurs every flight.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-26-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Smile

I put a trio pro pilot in my 6A about two years ago. Takes about a day to install, not difficult just a lot of panels and covers to open and wires to run. Average skill set required, nothing heavy duty involved in my opinion and I am not a builder. The a/p units are all about the same, buy the wiring harness and mounting brackets and start having some fun! Remember it's fun.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM

As has been said, pick the Auto Pilot by the features and don't worry about the installation.

When I bought my plane it had a Navaid Devices wing leveler and an S-TEC altitude hold. Both worked fine. They worked fine but i soon replaced them by getting the Dynon servos and AP74 so now it's all integrated in the EFIS.

Both servos in the 6A are fairly easy to access.

I think I have the removed parts sitting on a shelf somewhere.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 AM

I could be wrong but if your 6 has an analog panel your choices are limited. TT seemed to be the most popular over the years and from experience they just work. The roll servo will most likely be installed inside the cockpit and the pitch near the rear bell crank. The Gemini seems very popular and have not heard any complaints about TT.
Not sure why but it seems like everyone I know with a trio in an RV has to send them back in over and over because the roll gain cannot be set to stop wing rock??
Recommend you talk to your local RV6rs and see what they have and are happy with.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM

And just for another point of view, I had the Blue Mountain autopilot along with my system. It worked great, but I only ever used it during the condition inspection to verify that it still worked. Now that I'm about to update my panel, I have removed the old autopilot and there won't be a new one. There will be one (Sorcerer) in my -10, which has a different mission, but the -6A is just too much fun to fly by hand to want to let a machine do it.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
Not sure why but it seems like everyone I know with a trio in an RV has to send them back in over and over because the roll gain cannot be set to stop wing rock??
I have been flying Trio autopilots since before they were released to the market and your experience has not been what we have seen locally with several devices in service. Just another datapoint.

Another option for the roll servo is to install it in a wingtip. Either method works, just depends on which is more convenient for a particular aircraft.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Default A/P for 6A

I am in the same situation as Mike! Congratulations Mike for your new RV-6A!

I purchased a 6A project. It has never flown. It had nice instrument panel however I wanted to modernize it so I pulled everything out. I have TT A/P and if possible please share some photos of your servo installations. I like to specifically photos that how you have installed A/P and trim servos.