- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Only partially true.

Extended taxi time, or sitting at the runway end waiting for lots of landing traffic will both change that Hobbs/Tach time ratio, regardless of what number is set into the Skyview.

If you check the wiring diagram of an older certified mall plane you will probably find that the Hobbs is not wired through the Master Switch. This takes away the temptation for renters to get cheaper flights by switching off the Master in flight.
All true, but I was mostly responding to the rules-of-thumb folks were referring to. Just reminding folks that was adjustable in our Skyview system
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
OTOH, Pilot flying time is defined as from engine start to engine shutdown.
Actually, FAR Part 1, Definitions and Abbreviations, defines Flight Time as "Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under it's own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing".

So if you start your engine and sit there for 15 minutes to get your oil warmed up, that time wouldn't count. The time taxiing to-from the runway would be included.
I don't know how accurate Foreflight times the flight but I believe the time starts when the airplane starts in motion.
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying
Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoboat View Post
Actually, FAR Part 1, Definitions and Abbreviations, defines Flight Time as "Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under it's own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing".

So if you start your engine and sit there for 15 minutes to get your oil warmed up, that time wouldn't count. The time taxiing to-from the runway would be included.
I don't know how accurate Foreflight times the flight but I believe the time starts when the airplane starts in motion.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess if you want to be totally accurate, you should have a stopwatch and start it when you begin taxi, and stop it when you end taxi.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent
Old 09-29-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Overcooked

Guys, just take your actual flight time and add your pre and post flight taxi time. Keeping in mind that most folks track time in 10thís of an hour, (which is 6 minutes), I just round to the nearest six minutes. In the last year, Iíve made 280+ flights and I find that my taxi out, run up and then taxi in average out to about .2 hours. So, if you canít remember exactly, .2 is a pretty good number to use. The point being, that you only need to be accurate to the nearest 6 minutes...stop watch not really required.

- RV-12 N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finally on the finishing kit, so, something like 90% done and 90% left to go.
- 1975 B58 Baron, N1975G (a bottomless money pit that makes building an RV look like lunch money, but it's a great airplane, hauls the family and my wife likes two engines...go figure)
- 1961 A33 Debonair, N433JC (R.I.P.)
- RV7A; didn't finish it and donated to kid's club
- Zenith CH601XL; flying somewhere in Louisiana https://youtu.be/wa_Y_A_rP_8