- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
These fancy electronic systems are fantastic; and after seeing 2.3 or 2.4 psi with both fuel pumps operating during decent from altitude. I "wil be" installing both machanical fuel & oil gauges during next annual.

Call me insecure...but I start looking for someplace "immediately" to land when pressures are not what they should be. Likewise, an operational Garmin 796 w/remote gps...(had pito tube break @ clamp block) on way home from OSH loosing airspeed indication (nothing like landing with indicated 30 knot forward and 135 knot tailwind)..
Regarding a mechanical oil pressure gauge backup system..... We worked with an RV-12 owner who wanted to do this exact thing. I really like how he installed everything.

It is detailed on page 5-7 of the following installation manual.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/PDF%20D...l%20Sender.pdf

We have not yet worked with anyone on a secondary fuel pressure gauge, but if you need anything fabricated, we will be happy to help out.

Have a great week,
Steve

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Tom and I are very interested in this data point as the AIRCRAFT SPECIALTY/TS FLIGHTLINES fuel setup utilizes different components than the stock kit. We eliminated the banjo bolts and fuel block and replaced it with an AN cross and Tee setup.

If any customers of ours are experiencing a similar issue with low fuel pressure, can you please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com and let us know? We build Rotax kits for a variety of aircraft, but the RV-12 represents the largest data point. To date, we have not had any reports of low fuel pressure in any of the Rotax kits, but we would like to hear from anyone who has been flying with our fuel hoses.

Thanks so much for your help,
Steve

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
Tom and I are very interested in this data point as the AIRCRAFT SPECIALTY/TS FLIGHTLINES fuel setup utilizes different components than the stock kit. We eliminated the banjo bolts and fuel block and replaced it with an AN cross and Tee setup.

If any customers of ours are experiencing a similar issue with low fuel pressure, can you please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com and let us know? We build Rotax kits for a variety of aircraft, but the RV-12 represents the largest data point. To date, we have not had any reports of low fuel pressure in any of the Rotax kits, but we would like to hear from anyone who has been flying with our fuel hoses.

Thanks so much for your help,
Steve
Steve,

Did you make provision for the metering orfice in the return line?

And yes...would like info on both fuel & oil mechanical gauge set up (realize the fuel gauge set up would need to be beta)...
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid

Last edited by Phantom30 : 09-28-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Steve,

Did you make provision for the metering orfice in the return line?

And yes...would like info on both fuel & oil mechanical gauge set up (realize the oil gauge set up would need to be beta)...
Yes, the restrictor is necessary in the fuel return line. We place it in a different location than in the stock kit. It is not installed in the fuel line, but rather screwed onto a fitting. That way all of our lines are field replaceable if any one ever gets damaged.

Here is a link to the fuel kit installation manual

http://aircraftspecialty.com/PDF%20D...l%20111013.pdf

The remote oil pressure sender includes a provision already for the backup mechanical gauge. That is what the images on page 5-7 of this manual show.
http://aircraftspecialty.com/PDF%20D...l%20Sender.pdf

The only item that would be completely beta is the mechanical fuel pressure sender installation, but that would be fairly easily accommodated.

Steve

Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Just as a point of reference==

Our .015 restrictor fitting threads on the return side of our cross fitting. It is Black in color--so instantly noticed if it is missing.
For those of you that dont know how small .014 really is, its a number 79 drill bit. .015 is a 78 drill bit. Maybe a little larger than the hair on your arm---well kinda.
http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/ts...&page=1#upload

This pic shows the size of the restrictor. Yep is tiny. We sized this after consulting with Rotax several years ago.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Tom,

I installed your system last March, and have had no problems. I usually run a fuel pressure of 3.9 psi with the electric pump on and 3.6 on just the mechanical pump. The only pressure issue Iíve had was due to vapor lock using some old fuel on a hot day, and turning on the electric pump fixed that.

I notice that your picture shows the restrictor on the cross fitting, but the instructions I had were to put it on the bulkhead return fitting. Is that a change or did you just put it on the cross in the picture for sense of scale?

Rich
Old 10-01-2017, 05:57 AM

Rich,

We put it on the bulkhead return fitting as per the installation manual. It technically could go in either location but putting it on the bulkhead return gives us a bit more room.

Glad you like your kit!!!

Take care
Steve

Last edited by Aircraft Specialty : 10-01-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 AM

Rich---I put it on the cross for photo purposes.
Tom

BTW---Steve and others did most of the beta work on this package. We knew the guidelines we wanted, and then had to design a package to integrate it all together. Teflon hose, AN hardware, etc.
We havent heard from anyone with this package having a pressure issue. Alot of them flying worldwide, not only on RV12's but others with the 912 Rotax.

Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Back to sensor wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrhsch View Post
I think I need a new fuel pressure sensor. Shortly after a refueling stop with 100LL, the fuel pressure started to swing rapidly from 1.1 to 5.0 psi at 5400 RPM and suddenly stopped at 0.0 psi. Engine was running fine. I made a precautionary landing to check out the problem.

On the ground I determined that I had fuel pressure that wasn't registering on the G3X. I could hear the electric pump running and tested the flow from the gasolator to confirm the pump was indeed working.

It was very hot out and I decided to let the engine cool for a couple of hours. When I powered up the G3X the fuel pressure showed max fuel pressure 14+ psi. As soon as I started the Rotax, the fuel pressure started to swing up and down and stoped at 0.0 psi.

I unplugged the sensor, removed the rubber seal and reattached the plug with no change in the reading.

After extensive taxi testing and run-ups I finished the flight.

I will order a new sensor unless some one has had the same symptoms and resolved it using a different method.
The fuel sensor was replaced and all is well. I never intended to start a war of sorts. This is definitely not in the same league an tail wheele or primer wars.

I now show a 0.5 PSI increase in fuel pressure. I like to know that everything is working within normal ranges. The one minuet warning before the engine quits is one more minuet I have to react to a potential issue. Just my view.

Now back to thread drift.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Was running up the engine with out top or bottom cowl and notice a low fuel pressure warning which stopped when closing throttle and changing relative position to 10-12kt surface wind while turning around the apron. My carb vent lines are the prescribed length 3 or 4 inches and are tucked behind the carb bowl clips. Could being cowless and direct wind pressure and turning prop wind pressure impact fuel pressure?

Last edited by AirHound : 10-01-2017 at 08:02 AM.