VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 PM

Default RV4 cockpit size

Question for the 4 drivers out there (if they know)
Seeking to find out if the 3 & 4 share the same size cockpit width etc. I've not had the opportunity to sit in a 4 as yet but have done so in a 3, the 3 was tight for my 6ft & 100kg frame. The Van's website doesn't show the 3's cockpits dimensions, well I didn't notice them.
Thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 AM

Default They are the same

The top longerons are 24" apart. The four has some flexibility for seat back adjustment and leg room the three does not offer. I feel there is a little more room for knees in the four. I am 6' x 180lb and the tree works for me and expect the four to be a little better.
Clinton, IN
Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Default RV-4 legroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
The top longerons are 24" apart. The four has some flexibility for seat back adjustment and leg room the three does not offer. I feel there is a little more room for knees in the four. I am 6' x 180lb and the tree works for me and expect the four to be a little better.
+1 on Larry's Comments. You can modify seat back and rudder pedal cable length to accommodate long legs (at the expense of passenger room) but cockpit width is basically the same assuming they haven't installed side panels and sub panels etc.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Ok thnxs guys. I can assume that the 3&4 share the same width which is what I was seeking.
I've been looking for an 8 but they are rare as rocking horse poo down under so might have to squeeze into a 4.
Cheers
Old 09-30-2017, 08:35 PM

6'2", 240 pounds and I fit fine. Roll bar moved back two inches, and bottom inch of instrument panel cut away.
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360 200HP
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 PM

Default depends on the setup

6'2" 225 31 inch inseam and I fit comfortably in mine but before I found it I sat in 2 or 3 that I couldn't close the canopy all the way. The builder of mine said he moved the roll bar back 1.5 inches. So test for fit and there's ways of making it work.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 AM

Default More knee clearance

Regarding removing the bottom inch of the panel, I am told the Rocket has the panel moved forward to the fuse side formers and that makes a huge increase in knee clearance and entry/exit ease.
Clinton, IN
Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 AM

I cut mine straight across at the notches. Then reinforced it with extruded angle. It's easy to get in and out quickly.
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360 200HP
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 10-01-2017, 02:21 PM

im 6'1 250 and fit fine. the only mod i made was moving the roll bar back about an inch to get more head room. the farther back the roll bar is the more rake on the seat which moves your head closer to the high point on the canopy. the only thing is you have to watch how far back you go so you do not restrict the rear seat stick travel.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB