- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
So here's what I did:
-- My VOR I mounted on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS so I put a doubler in there
-- Installed the Van's AHRS shelf per the shelf plans to the left of the elevator bell crank (I have my Transponder mounted to it)
-- Installed Van's ELT mount on the left side of the tailcone about a foot aft of the baggage bulkhead and between the F-1047 D & E stiffeners.
-- Installed SteinAir's magnetometer bracket to the front top of the F-1008 fuse frame and the ELT just in front of that

My #1 COM antenna (a few inches aft of the baggage bulkhead) is mounted on the top of the tailcone so I mounted it and its doubler much later as I really didn't know where the COM antennas were going to go at this point in the build. The same is true of the transponder antenna which is on the bottom of the tailcone just aft of the baggage bulkhead and offset to the right of centerline.
Thanks for that Todd. That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of response. A couple of questions. I'm assuming that the magnetometer suffers no interference there. Where did you put your ADAHRS? What was the advantage of putting the remote transponder there instead of behind the main panel which is where I was expecting to put it. Do you have a picture of your VOR antenna install? I've heard of others putting their VOR antennas exactly where you describe.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)

Last edited by RandyAB : 09-21-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM

No magnetometer interference from the ELT antenna or the seatbelt attach hardware.

My ADAHRS (a Garmin GSU 73) is mounted behind the instrument panel. I preferred that location to keep all of my "pitot-static" instruments in one area (ADAHRS, backup PFD, and autopilot control head) to simplify the tubing runs.

I put my transponder in the tailcone to keep the antenna lead the right length. My transponder antenna is back there because I've made provision for a cargo pod and that complicated transponder antenna placement forward--everything's a compromise.

These are the only pics of the VOR doubler I have here at work. The doubler is tied into the aft side of the F-1010 frame.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Thanks Todd for sharing that. It's very helpful not having to reinvent the wheel and seeking solutions from those who have been through the process before. It sure lightens the work load.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)

Last edited by RandyAB : 09-21-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 AM

I made a few posts about my mods when I was considering them:

http://www.airplane.build/2015/11/ta...derations.html
http://www.airplane.build/2016/02/up...cone-mods.html

Other posts on the same blog under the tag "tailcone" will contain more details and pictures.
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid