Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Tailcone riveted...suggestions needed for additional mounts and doublers.

I'm now done with section 10. The tailcone is riveted except for the top forward skin. Before that is done I was hoping for some input on adding additional items such as any doublers needed for antenna mounts, ELT placement, and a mount for a double ADAHRS setup (Garmin if that makes a difference).

Input, with pics if possible, is greatly appreciated.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Old 09-19-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Forward top skin

Don't rivet the forward top skin on unless you really want to shimmy down the tailcone many, many times...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2016,...Thanks DR+
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM

The top forward skin of the tail cone doesn't get riveted in place until the fiberglass cabin top in finally installed. You have an entire fuselage to build first. <grin>

I did the install for all of my antennas going on the top and bottom of the tail cone, the pitch and yaw servo mounts, the wiring to the tail light, the installation of the static ports and tubing, and ran all the wiring required in the vicinity of the tail cone before closing it up. I also installed the air conditioner evaporator, dryer, and blower on a tail cone shelf, as well as a mounting shelf for the ELT before riveting the top forward skin.

Also good to do as much work in the fuselage as you can before you do the final install of the cabin top, as it is much easier when you can just reach in over the side.

Enjoy the building adventure, as you have a lot still to do. (grin)

RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress
2017 VAF Dues Paid
Old 09-19-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Don't rivet the forward top skin on unless you really want to shimmy down the tailcone many, many times...
Exactly what I want to avoid Bob!
2017 dues paid
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
The top forward skin of the tail cone doesn't get riveted in place until the fiberglass cabin top in finally installed. You have an entire fuselage to build first. <grin>

I did the install for all of my antennas going on the top and bottom of the tail cone, the pitch and yaw servo mounts, the wiring to the tail light, the installation of the static ports and tubing, and ran all the wiring required in the vicinity of the tail cone before closing it up. I also installed the air conditioner evaporator, dryer, and blower on a tail cone shelf, as well as a mounting shelf for the ELT before riveting the top forward skin.

Also good to do as much work in the fuselage as you can before you do the final install of the cabin top, as it is much easier when you can just reach in over the side.

Enjoy the building adventure, as you have a lot still to do. (grin)
Thanks Dave. I took delivery of the quickbuild wings and fuselage today. I really don't want to crawl into the tailcone for fear of bending something. That's why I wanted to ask now; so I don't burn any bridges so to speak.
2017 dues paid
Old 09-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I really don't want to crawl into the tailcone for fear of bending something.
It's not that bad once you do it a few times and that structure is stronger than you think .. just don't drop tools on the skins or you will get to learn the spoon/packing tape trick

I'm 250 and 6'2" and surprised at where I managed to stuff my self in the name of building .. just distribute your weight using boards if you are concerned.

It helps to have a tiny helper available occasionally
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
.. just don't drop tools on the skins or you will get to learn the spoon/packing tape trick
Please do share the spoon/packing tape trick. I have a ding from a helper dropping the bucking bar that I'd like to see gone!
2017 dues paid
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
just don't drop tools on the skins or you will get to learn the spoon/packing tape trick
I'll bite. Spoon / Packing tape trick? I haven't (yet) dropped a bucking bar or other tools in my tailcone, but hear it's not if but when kinda thing. This a trick to try to bang out a dent? Any links on how to do this?
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - In Progress
RV10builder.com
Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Spoon trick......

Curiosity got the better of me.... found this...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=80070
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 AM

So here's what I did:
-- My VOR I mounted on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS so I put a doubler in there
-- Installed the Van's AHRS shelf per the shelf plans to the left of the elevator bell crank (I have my Transponder mounted to it)
-- Installed Van's ELT mount on the left side of the tailcone about a foot aft of the baggage bulkhead and between the F-1047 D & E stiffeners.
-- Installed SteinAir's magnetometer bracket to the front top of the F-1008 fuse frame and the ELT just in front of that

My #1 COM antenna (a few inches aft of the baggage bulkhead) is mounted on the top of the tailcone so I mounted it and its doubler much later as I really didn't know where the COM antennas were going to go at this point in the build. The same is true of the transponder antenna which is on the bottom of the tailcone just aft of the baggage bulkhead and offset to the right of centerline.
WAR EAGLE!