- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Question Older RV-10 QB kits - any changes

RV-10 guys,

I have a friend looking at a partly finished RV-10 kit for sale.

The kit is good and seems fairly priced but he asked a question about any QB kit changes over the years.

I have no knowledge on the 4 seater development and changes, so can anyone tell me if there have been any major changes over the last decade or so to the RV-10 QB kits?

Anything special to look for, other than construction quality?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Everything fiberglass (wing tips, cabin top, cowling) seems to have been improved.
Fuel valve placement: valve was lowered, extension to handle added, improved handle, better fuel line routing. All about March 2008
Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 PM

Also check the Van's web site to ensure that any S.B.'s have been incorporated, or be willing to do it yourself. I had to do one a kit that I bought 3 years ago.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-8 N88XT Flying
RV-10 QB in Progress
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health
Fee Exempt, but Dues Paid for 2016
Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Everything fiberglass (wing tips, cabin top, cowling) seems to have been improved.
Fuel valve placement: valve was lowered, extension to handle added, improved handle, better fuel line routing. All about March 2008
The builder (an A&P) who has it for sale mentioned he had modified the circuitous routing of those lines by adding a union...
Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 AM

The main improvements have been the Service Bulletin items that have been included in the original builds, the gell coated cowl and the RV-14 ailerons. The cabin top and doors have not been I proved.

The SB's that affect you would most likely just be the doubler on the top of the Vertical Stab and the doubler on the tailcone bulkhead where the Horizontal Stab front spar bolts.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The SB's that affect you would most likely just be the doubler on the top of the Vertical Stab and the doubler on the tailcone bulkhead where the Horizontal Stab front spar bolts.
And possibly the one adding the doubler to the engine mount if the purchase included a finish kit.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 PM

There was a motor mount change around 2007 to provide more clearance with some of the IO540 oil sumps. See Service Letter Jan 15, 2007.

But, the bottom line is that build quality is far more important than the age of the kit.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:44 PM

I am looking to buy an RV7A or 6A. I frequently notice mention of the quality of the build and that makes sense. Never having built an airplane but having been a pilot for over 40 years with thousands of hours flying certified types how does a neophyte like myself determine if the airplane i am looking at is a good build or not? I of course plan on having a pre buy done by a very knowledgeable RV builder qualified to do a quality pre buy. But in the interim how do i decide what is a good build or not? What should I be looking for or at before I pull the plug, make an offer and employ someone to do the prebuy?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
And possibly the one adding the doubler to the engine mount if the purchase included a finish kit.
There are a number of SB's, but the two I mentioned are the two that are hard to add after that area is closed up. The engine mount plate is easy to add with a plane that is already flying.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up An Update

An update.

It ended up my friend didn't really want to become a builder, and the project was a really good deal... so I am now the owner of a partially completed RV-10 QB kit and IO-540 engine. The project was only about 70 miles away and I picked up the airframe pieces yesterday.

The only trouble is the boss says I can't have 4 airplanes so the Tiger and a Mini-Nimbus sailplane will be sold soon.

And a thanks to Scott Schmidt who visited on a visit to Tucson when his RV-10 was just completed - my wife remembered the plane and liked it. This made the purchase much easier.