VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Exact same spot

I started my annual condition inspection just after I read this article and I went straight to the gear legs when I got the cowling off. Looked like cracks on both sides. Right side turned out to be dirt. Left side however looked like the powder coat was cracked. Used a very fine sandpaper and cleaned it up some more. What do y'all think?

RV6 with 1085 tac hours. Only grass is taxing at OSH 😎

[IMG][/IMG]
EAA - 577486
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64GH View Post
I started my annual condition inspection just after I read this article and I went straight to the gear legs when I got the cowling off. Looked like cracks on both sides. Right side turned out to be dirt. Left side however looked like the powder coat was cracked. Used a very fine sandpaper and cleaned it up some more. What do y'all think?

RV6 with 1085 tac hours. Only grass is taxing at OSH 😎

[IMG][/IMG]
Hard to tell from that pic.
Remove the powder coat with paint remover to bare metal and inspect further. If your mount does not have the gussets, ie later style 7 mount, it is probably a matter of when, not if.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
it is probably a matter of when, not if.
So just order the gussets from vans and fix it properly. Yea probability the best call. Gary Sobek is giving me info on how to do it without removing the engine from the mount.
EAA - 577486
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Gusset Instructions

Mike, I sure hope you will post those instructions here when you get them. I have to check very closely as I thought it was just cracks in the powder coating. I am sure there are many of us out here without gussets on older models.

Thanks, Al
Dues Paid
Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64GH View Post
Gary Sobek is giving me info on how to do it without removing the engine from the mount.
Not knocking Gary by any means.
I have done this job.
Removed mount from plane.
Stripped to bare metal.
Had crack welded and added Vans Gussets....cheap and fit perfectly,.
The gussets mount on the bottom of the triangle at the bottom of the socket.
I saw my mount on the welders table being welded!
Cleaned it up again, primed and epoxy painted....
So good or better than new.

I can only speculate on how it would be installed while still attached to the engine....hanging from a hoist, engine wrapped with something to protect the engine and oil and gas fumes etc....

Also if your plane is high time...and for me I had 1100TT in 20 years so I took the opportunity to remove/strip/inspect/fix and repaint! I also removed the gear and cleaned/inspected/straightened and repainted as well.

So I would be interested in hearing a procedure to do it while mounted as well. I can always learn something and most days do!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 03-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Still Thinking

Bob

I am still trying to decide what to do. Gary is an engineer and very skilled. I on the other hand am as ordinary as anyone can get and was thinking the same thing welding with the engine on a swing might be interesting to say the least. I did not build the plane I adopted it from the builder about 500 hours ago. I will be needing assistance no matter what I choose to do.

I sure do not want to pull the engine but I would rather be safe and get a good look at the mount. Well have someone that knows what the heck they are doing take a look. It will be a learning experience for me no matter what which in the long run is a big plus.

Any way waiting to talk to my A&P (& friend) before I decide what the heck to do.
EAA - 577486
Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM

I'm just home after finishing my repair.

I've spent 24 of the last 48 hours working on it. It was welded for me Friday, Painted friday night and then all day Saturday and Sunday to re assemble and test run.

I'd say It's taken about 50 hours work to do the whole thing including welding (2), Stripping and Painting (10) and putting it all back together again (24). I did manage to get a few other jobs done at the same time though - oil change, air filter clean, secure spat mounting brackets, replace a fuel hose.

Ready to test fly if the weather is any good in the morning. I'll post some photos as soon as I get chance.

Beer time !
Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Hard to tell from that pic.
Remove the powder coat with paint remover to bare metal and inspect further. If your mount does not have the gussets, ie later style 7 mount, it is probably a matter of when, not if.
I'd found that Dye penetrant testing on mine was really the only way to be absolutely certain. The kit cost 36 .... no doubt I'll be using it again in the future some time.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM

All finished and test flown, so far so good.

As mentioned before, I'd estimate about 50 hours work all told - although this did include a few small "incidental" jobs as well.

The only real snag worth mentioning was that when removing the mount a center bolt went back into a metal fuel line behind just the firewall. This in turn resulted in a fuel leak on the outlet of the Andair pump which is just in front of the main spar. I was very lucky to get away with this - It started up and ran fine for 7 mins during initial warm up but then started miss firing during my "1 min at max power" final ground run before flying. The pipe had fully fractured on the flare so a 3/8" pipe @ 30 psi leak !

Here's some photos.

(Edited 5th April 2017 - It turns out that the end plates I have fitted in the photos below are not to the approved UK Mod spec, my mistake but please don't copy them !.)

IMG_3431 by WIGY TV, on Flickr

[IMG]IMG_3430 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3429 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3433 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Pittsartist : 04-05-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:55 PM

Default pictures

Nice pictures...thanks for sharing.
Nice Job welding gussets.
But just to be clear that is not the WD-762A-L and WD-762A-R Gear Socket Gussets Vans sells for the Dynafocal mounts.
Is that a homebrew or did Vans direct it for a Conical mount?
You did not show a picture of the bottom view of the small triangle at the tube where the Vans gussets fit.
Again, nice work!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB