VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 AM

It has been said that regularly used flight school aircraft engines operate for more hours between overhauls than infrequently used private aircraft engines. Engines get hot while running. Does that mean that hot engines corrode less?
The temperature at which an engine is stored is not as important as the temperature at which an engine is started. Starting a cold engine causes a lot more wear than starting a warm engine.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM

Yes, but how do you explain automobile engines operating in northern climates? The engine in my car has been started hundred's or even thousand's of times at below freezing temperatures with no pre-heat. My car sits cold-soaked all winter long and I'm unable to detect any ill-effects or reduction in service life.
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317

Last edited by Piper J3 : 12-17-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Yes, but how do you explain automobile engines operating in northern climates? The engine in my car has been started hundred's or even thousand's of times at below freezing temperatures with no pre-heat. My car sits cold-soaked all winter long and I'm unable to detect any ill-effects or reduction in service life.
Lower cold cranking ampherage and this engine is built with a much, much tighter tolerance. That compression ratio is a lot more. Throw in freezing temperatures and that is what you get.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4754 View Post
Good luck calling ACS anytime I have nobody knows anything about the products they sell.
The same applies to Dual Electronics.
The lights are on but nobody's home.
Terrible service support.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 PM

All batteries suffer reduced cold-cranking-amps at low temperatures. It's just a fact - autos and airplanes alike, so no difference there.

I'd bet my Toyota Prius engine, with 13:1 compression running Atkinson cycle, is built with very close tolerances. The engine not only has to start in cold temps but also starts/stops dozens of times for each in-city trip.
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317
Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Smile Quick Engine Preheater

I wanted to fly the other day when it was cold and clear. After researching posts here, I put this together out of stuff at the hangar. The blocks of wood support the axles during tire maintenance, the orange heater gets used during annuals and the galvanized sheet metal is a clean drip pan for under the engine. It worked great. Would never leave it un-attended, though and the heater control was left at the lowest setting. Checked belly for warmth and stayed cool enough to hold my hand on it. Air coming out the inlet nostrils was cold at first, then warmed up nicely after preflight and opening the doors and talking to my neighbor. Engine started and sounded nice. RV climbed like a scalded ape in the cold dense air with only me aboard.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Quick Engine Preheater

PS: That white com antenna in the photo is actually off to one side and not being heated.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 PM

......scary
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 12-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sun View Post
I wanted to fly the other day when it was cold and clear. After researching posts here, I put this together out of stuff at the hangar. The blocks of wood support the axles during tire maintenance, the orange heater gets used during annuals and the galvanized sheet metal is a clean drip pan for under the engine. It worked great. Would never leave it un-attended, though and the heater control was left at the lowest setting. Checked belly for warmth and stayed cool enough to hold my hand on it. Air coming out the inlet nostrils was cold at first, then warmed up nicely after preflight and opening the doors and talking to my neighbor. Engine started and sounded nice. RV climbed like a scalded ape in the cold dense air with only me aboard.

You are going to equip your bird with O2....when you have finished attaching your ram jet mod to the under carriage for flights above flight level 60???
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 12-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sun View Post

Smoking around aircraft is not a good idea, much less operating a blowing flame such as this. There is just too much flammable material around. You would be better off to locate the heater some distance away and conduct the heated air to the aircraft with some appropriate duct hose.

Better yet, get an electric sump/cylinder heater and plug it in.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 12-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.