Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Last year I bought a Garmin 696 that I planned to use to replace the 496 in my RV-12. When I figured out what it would actually cost to do it with ADS-B IN, and where that would leave me for ADS-B OUT, I sold the 696 and bought a tablet instead. The Galaxy Tab S2 8" is a fantastic tablet and very clear even in direct sunlight, just don't crack the screen or you're in for a shock. Anyway, as mentioned by others, pretty much nothing will talk to a Garmin device other than a Garmin device. If you want WX and traffic, it's a GDL 39. No Stratux or anything else. There is some interest in the Stratux community in developing the code to send data to Garmin GPS units, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The downside to the tablet is, it won't drive the AP without some additional fidgeting around. I haven't done it yet, but you could (in theory) use a Bluetooth serial receiver to feed the AP from your tablet if you're running Avare. The IFly app won't do it, I don't think. It's one reason I was very tempted to buy an IFly 740 -- hardwired serial ports. For now I just have the 496 there to drive the AP and as a backup GPS source. I use the tablet for flight planning, traffic and weather with a Stratux receiver that will eventually be replaced with something else for ADS-B IN and OUT. That will probably be uAvionix, unless something better comes along.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 AM

John, I mounted a 720 iFly on the panel with a ram mount and used the iFly option for the ram. I use it in a vertical position "permanently" there adjacent to a Dynon 180. Actually used a spare 3 1/8 blank to attach the ram ball. Power and your good to go with the echo. Using the wifi, with a 600EXP ,LARGE screen, adjustable for light and can leave it all attached. I actually have a 396 in a Air gizmo adjacent to the 720 but rarely ever look at the 396, except that my auto pilot is still tied to it.

Last edited by DennisRhodes : 10-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
Yes, echoUAT is supported on most apps. On DroidEFB, you’d select Stratux, who’s is a grouping for devices using the GDL90 on port 4000. They’ve just not added echoUAT. I’ve just tested it again and it works just fine. Hope this helps.
Shane,

Thanks for the clarification and prompt reply. I really like the DroidEFB app. However, I've emailed DroidEFB a couple of times about it and didn't get a response.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
Yes, echoUAT is supported on most apps. On DroidEFB, you’d select Stratux, who’s is a grouping for devices using the GDL90 on port 4000. They’ve just not added echoUAT. I’ve just tested it again and it works just fine. Hope this helps.

Shane,

Thanks for the clarification and prompt reply. I really like the DroidEFB app. However, I've emailed DroidEFB a couple of times about it and didn't get a response.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise7A View Post
Shane,

No worries. I tested our EchoUAT with DroidEFB and it works as expected. I’ll see if I can prompt them to add a uAvionix call out to their “Stratux” option. They list several brands under that.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
. . . "Perhaps another solution where you leave the 496 in place and add a mini iPad running ForeFlight with traffic and weather. My 12 doesn't have lights or autopilot so these switches are marked INOP. I made a bracket to mount a mini iPad at a good viewing angle directly under the D-180. The bracket covers the unused switches. When I install the Echo UAT next year I'll get traffic and weather on the iPad. For now I'm enjoying redundant GPS navigation.
See post below showing mini iPad installation...
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...1&postcount=12
Jim,

That looks like a winner to me.
Thanks for the pics and sharing.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM

I did something similar. I left the GPS 396 (my 496 did and I had a spare 396) and installed a Ram mount on the glare shield with a 6” arm for my iPad mini. With the Freeflight ADS-B In/Out displaying on the iPad mini through a WiFi module I get all the info and can take the iPad to the hotel at the end of a cross country.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Has anybody received the uAvionix/GRT GPS package from GRT recently? My brother has one on order since before Oshkosh and still hasn't received it yet.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Has anybody received the uAvionix/GRT GPS package from GRT recently? My brother has one on order since before Oshkosh and still hasn't received it yet.
I can’t speak for GRT specifically, but EchoUAT is in stock and last I spoke with them this week, I believe they were waiting on components to complete the combos.

I’ve personally assisted dozens and dozens of GRT customers configure their units and ultimately pass their performance test flight. He’s going to like it when he gets it. It comes all prewired and all. In think they are selling them faster than they can get components ramped up.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Its on the way.

He called and talked to Jon. They tried calling him a few times but didn't leave a message in the past or he never got an email. Its on the way now.
Building RV-12 with brother