Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 622BH View Post
I know you are using the Avidyne unit as the "demo" unit for teaching purposes. If we simply replace the Avidyne nomenclature with GTN-650, the same procedures should work. Correct?

Right now my plane is in pieces getting painted. Once that is completed (in maybe two weeks) I'll step through your tutorial and see if my unit will "play nice."

In the time from January 2017, and present, there have been NO changes to my system, wiring, etc. except software updates. And, as I've mentioned previously, after the July update, is when the AP simply won't lock-on to a flight plan; whether internal or from the GTN. That's why I've been pointing to the updates throughout my postings.
IF there are no fundamental changes in the software between the sources and the AP, then something has gone goofy with my AP control head.
Mel,

I was where you are about six months ago. I had a failure of the AFS ARINC module and the ARINC receiver card in my Trutrak Vizion. The ARINC diagnostic page in the GTN650 was how I got the data to troubleshoot the issue.

The other possibility is that you may have an open circuit. Perhaps a wire broke at a crimp or chafed due to vibrations?

Does the AP follow the Heading bug on the EFIS?

bob
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I know you are using the Avidyne unit as the "demo" unit for teaching purposes. If we simply replace the Avidyne nomenclature with GTN-650, the same procedures should work. Correct?

Right now my plane is in pieces getting painted. Once that is completed (in maybe two weeks) I'll step through your tutorial and see if my unit will "play nice."

In the time from January 2017, and present, there have been NO changes to my system, wiring, etc. except software updates. And, as I've mentioned previously, after the July update, is when the AP simply won't lock-on to a flight plan; whether internal or from the GTN. That's why I've been pointing to the updates throughout my postings.
IF there are no fundamental changes in the software between the sources and the AP, then something has gone goofy with my AP control head.
Mel,

The IFD540 and GTN650 both work basically the same way, I have both units in my RV-10 and we routinely fly GPS LPV approaches with both units.

When you get the plane back together make sure you are running the latest software and if it still does not work give me a call and I will come see what is wrong with it.

http://dynonavionics.com/af-5000-software-updates.php

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited by N402RH : 10-11-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Bob & Rob

Bob - Yes, I can control the AP via the heading bug on the EFIS, or I can use the heading knob on the AP controller.

Its the Flight Plans than don't get processed properly.

Rob - Thanks. We (John Stahr and I) made excellent progress on the painting today. IF all goes as planned, we will be putting clear coat on the wings & fuselage tomorrow.

I'll let you know when its all back together and ready for testing the Flight Plan / AP issue.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Bob - Yes, I can control the AP via the heading bug on the EFIS, or I can use the heading knob on the AP controller.

Its the Flight Plans than don't get processed properly.

That would apply that the ARINC circuit between the EFIS and AP is working as designed.

When you put a flight plan in your 650, does the magenta line appear on your map screen? Does your AP head show it's in GPSS mode?

When you get your 10 back, the ARINC monitor on the 650 diagnostic page, should quickly tell you if there is an open circuit or a hardware issue. (i.e. all the labels have 0's only.) If you have data (i.e. 0's and 1's) the issue is something else.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Magenta Line is There

Bob,
Yes the magenta line is displayed on the EFIS. Any altitude I put in via the ALT bug on the EFIS is commanded. HDG is commanded; the AP just doesn't lock on to the HDG / TRK when I get within 30 degrees or even when I'm dead-on the desired HDG / TRK.
Thus, I've had to do it the old steam gauge method of continuous "windage" adjustments to keep it along the magenta line.

One result is that I've sure had to improve my scanning technique.

I've not done any diagnostics because the system (other than indicated above) does work, so I focused on the only thing that changed - software updates...
Rob Hickman in saying that fundamentally nothing has changed - SO, I don't know what the heck went wrong.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Bob,
Yes the magenta line is displayed on the EFIS. Any altitude I put in via the ALT bug on the EFIS is commanded. HDG is commanded; the AP just doesn't lock on to the HDG / TRK when I get within 30 degrees or even when I'm dead-on the desired HDG / TRK.
Thus, I've had to do it the old steam gauge method of continuous "windage" adjustments to keep it along the magenta line.

One result is that I've sure had to improve my scanning technique.

I've not done any diagnostics because the system (other than indicated above) does work, so I focused on the only thing that changed - software updates...
Rob Hickman in saying that fundamentally nothing has changed - SO, I don't know what the heck went wrong.
This is different that what you stated before in the HDG mode from the EFIS was working. My suspicion is that you have a open circuit or hardware issue on one of the ARINc circuits.

It sounds like none of the ARINC data is making it to the AP.

Run diagnostics on the AFS ARINC module.
Run the ARINC monitor of the GTN650. I'm almost willing to bet that it will be showing all 0's, indicating a problem.
Also you should see the AP in GPSS mode if ARINC is working.

In my case, I had the first ARINC receiver card failure in my AP, much to the vendor's surprise. The GTN650 ARINC monitor gave me the data to prove that was an issue.

There's not much you can do until you get your RV-10 back.

We should probably take the conversation off line. You can reach me email from my VAF ID above this message.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Maybe I wasn't clear

Bob,
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote. The HDG bug on the EFIS (or the AP Control Head) does control the AP. But the HDG / TRK from the Flight Plan does not.

Quite possibly, the little resistor that is in-line between the GTN and ARINC module has broken (physically) or something along those lines. There's really not a lot of wiring between the ARINC and other avionics, so not a lot of wire-chasing to be done. Just contorting one's body to get access...

Indeed, we'll take it offline until I get the plane out of painting. Nothing I can do until then.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM

There is no resistor between the GTN and AF-ARINC module, you need to do the following:

1. Finish Painting
2. Install current software
3. Have me come look at, you are only 10 minutes away.

We had a similar issue a few years ago, luckily he was also local. On GPS approaches it would fly these very strange paths, never really believed it until I flew with him, sometimes it worked perfect. We ended up swapping the ARINC module, EFIS, Autopilot and it still did it. After literally weeks we found that the GTN330 transponder arinc out lines had been also wired to the GNS430 arinc out lines and they would sometimes fight with each other.

I need to write a book about all the really strange problems we have found over the last 18 years. Magnetic heading errors are the best, I keep a hand held compass in my RV-10 just for trouble shooting customer planes. Last summer I ended up flying to a customer after days of phone tech support and swapped ADAHRS units because of heading errors. As Soon as I put the compass on the ADAHRS I found that it pointed to the large steel wing spar bolt 8" away, after I had been assured multiple times that nothing magnetic was anywhere near it....

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Rob: Turns out I had the OS1 software in my system after all. You were onto it from the first but I'm surprised because ordered the Pre-loaded USB Memory stick---I thought that covered me for this current software at the time I ordered. Loaded OS5 this morning but I have the airplane down for some other stuff at the moment, so I can't test it out. I DO have the CDI button now though, vice the CRS. Hooray!

In the meantime, please accept my personal appreciation for the effort you [and others on VAF] put in to help the rest of us out. I work with Tom Swearengen [TS Flightlines] regularly and like you I'm guessing, he spends a substantial fraction of his time dealing directly with customers and their specific and [often] self-generated problems. He never complains but I don't know how he does it. You guys are a god-send.
F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 10-12-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM

The OS version is the actual operating system. The AF-5000 systems have only ever had two versions: OS: 1 is used with the old non touch screen CPU and all touch screen systems have OS: 5

There are some non touch screen systems that have the new CPU and are running OS:5 , anything manufactured in the last 3-4 years.

Wi-Fi support requires the new CPU and OS: 5

The software version is listed in the CHECK > ABOUT > SYS menu:

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.