VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Canopy Molding/Glareshield

As we are doing a 'posh' airplane, we are incorporating both the glareshield and canopy side moldings.

Does anyone have experience of installing these and in particular - which order to install them ?

Common sense would suggest fit the glareshield first, then fit the side moldings TO the glareshield at the front.

Suggestions welcomed.

Donated in 2017
Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Mike
Don't know if it makes a difference to your situation but when I ordered my SLSA, with the Autopilot Knobs panel that goes on the center instrument panel, Vans advised against glareshield as they said it would be a tight fit for fingers fiddling with the knobs. So I didn't add it.

PS. ex-pat whose family are all from Yorkshire...Middlesbrough and Middleton-In-Teesdale.

Last edited by Top Cat : 10-10-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Mike
Don't know if it makes a difference to your situation but when I ordered my SLSA, with the Autopilot Knobs panel that goes on the center instrument panel, Vans advised against glareshield as they said it would be a tight fit for fingers fiddling with the knobs. So I didn't add it.

PS. ex-pat whose family are all from Yorkshire...Middlesbrough and Middleton-In-Teesdale.
Your nickname should have been “Parmo”
Old 10-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Parmo looks good but never had it myself. Parents families from that area but I’ve never lived there myself.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
Your nickname should have been “Parmo”
And yours would have been...........

I'll get me furry coat

Ta for the heads up btw - no knobs on ours - standard panels so will probably go with glareshield first, mouldings second.

Mike

p.s. If ANY of the Colonials get this, I will stand the drop of York... Oops, bit close to the knuckle Jamesey

Donated in 2017
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM

I have both, glareshield is a perfect fit, no trimming I masked off my glue areas and painted the rest, then used fuel tank sealer to glue on (which I believe was specified in the plans)

The side moldings need a bit of a trim to get them right. I’d do the glaredhiekd then the side moldings
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 AM

Thanks - appreciate the report

Donated in 2017