VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Rainy day here today so I pulled the cowling to see why the exhaust pipe was off centre. There is one attachment to the engine block and the clamp that goes with that hanger is supposed to secure the left side of the "Y" pipe and the left exhaust together The plans point this out and note a notch in the end of the pipe that should allow the outer pipe to be compressed to squeeze the inner pipe.
This keeps the main exhaust pipe entered in the tunnel.
As it turns out the clamp that I received would not compress the pipe enough to secure the two pipes together. I see no danger of the pipe actually coming loose but it definitely allowed the tail pipe to shift to the left as Scott noted in my first picture.
I was able to secure the pipe properly by inserting a shim half way around the pipe between the pipe and the clamp. This allow the clamp to tighten down properly on the pipe.
I do not expect this change to make any difference on sound or vibration.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM

I have 25 hours on the 14 now, 10 with the "new" exhaust hangers. If your system is working ok, leave it alone. If you are getting any vibrations in the tunnel or side skins then consider what I did.
Go to your local automotive supply house and purchase one of these exhaust hangers

You can see where I cut the piece out of one side and I am using the old part as a template to drill the 3/16" holes. After the holes are drilled I cut the piece using a band saw. A belt sander made quick work of the edges. Then I slit the piece using the band saw again; just enough to capture both ends of the attach points.

The original hangers used plastic bushings in each end and I installed these in the metal brackets on each end before sliding the rubber piece into place. It nicely captures those bushings and then longer bolts are installed with washers on both sides. Tighten the bolts just enough that they are not loose, then install cotter pins. I elected to put the nuts on top but I do not believe it matters which way they go with this installation. The cotter pins are
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com