- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermechanic View Post
While taxing I noticed that there is no Safetaxi while in Canada. I have Safetaxi selected and the US airports Safetaxi details appear but nothing at CYYJ or CYVR... again something that works on my 496. Did I misunderstand Steve that that feature should work everywhere, all the time, not only when Canada Charts are selected?
Jeremy
Hello Jeremy,

It sounds like your unit doesn't have a SafeTaxi database that includes Canadian airports. Are you perhaps just using the databases loaded into the Aera 660 at the factory and drawing a conclusion that Canadian SafeTaxi is not supported based on that?

You can view loaded databases by selecting Tools, Database Information.

Using an Aera 660 with the Americas SafeTaxi database installed, we verified that SafeTaxi diagrams are indeed provided for the two airports you list above.

As explained in this posting, the North American Database Bundle includes the Americas SafeTaxi database which includes SafeTaxi diagrams for supported airports in the U.S., Canada, and Brazil.

Please contact us by email or phone shown below if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM

Jeremy, I can confirm that Safetaxi works in Canada, and specifically at CYYJ. Note that if you are on the "Charts" mode it will not automatically switch to the Safetaxi chart on touchdown... You have to switch to the "Maps" mode to see it. If it's really not there, chances are your specific bundle hasn't included it for some reason.

Steve, maybe another feature request for the Charts mode could be to include the Safetaxi info as an overlay, or to turn it on when landed or speed below a certain threshold?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 AM

ive been using the 660 for a bit now.
1. I use it in conjunction with an ipad, because sometimes i have to make changes to my flight plan on the go and i haven't figured out if the screen is able to do it on the fly, so to speak.
2. The screen on the 660 is way brighter and useful and readable than the ipad
3. Safe taxi is cool, it works in the Vancouver area.
4. Im sure future updates will have cool stuff in it too.

But, I guess my question is what is the best way to change an active flight plan on the fly?

m
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticist View Post
But, I guess my question is what is the best way to change an active flight plan on the fly?
You can edit the active flight plan, or you can go to the flight plan list, create a new flight plan (or copy the current one to a new one), edit that, and then activate it. Even if you're part-way along the updated flight plan, the GPS will figure it out and it won't tell you to go back to the beginning and start over...
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
You can edit the active flight plan, or you can go to the flight plan list, create a new flight plan (or copy the current one to a new one), edit that, and then activate it. Even if you're part-way along the updated flight plan, the GPS will figure it out and it won't tell you to go back to the beginning and start over...
I don't think there is a way to point and drag. I fly in the mountains pretty much exclusively, and to be able to quickly change a flight plan by drag and drop would be preferred to looking at electrical wires or other VFR waypoints (if they exist where we're flying). I have been doing it on the ipad then shooting it to the 660. As I said, the 660 has a great screen that is crystal clear and bright in all conditions.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Post Aera 660 V3.10

Good morning,

Just a heads up that Aera 660 V3.10 software may be installed today over WiFi or Webupdater.

The primary reason for the update is for our users in Australia, Asia, and Western Alaska. There is a new satellite that was turned on with visibility in that part of the world which requires us to update the GPS receiver firmware in the Aera 660, so you will see a pop-up that GPS firmware is being updated after installing this software.

An interesting new feature, for admittedly a small, but vocal group of users, is the new Time Over Target (TOT) data field. If you are flying lead for a group that is scheduled to make a stadium or other fly-over appearance at an assigned time, you may enable display of the TOT field and adjust your speed to keep the TOT time equal to your assigned time. The TOT field works off the active waypoint, so you can either do a Direct-To your target location, or put that location in a flight plan so it becomes active after takeoff. Unlike the ETA field, the TOT field has seconds resolution to make your timing more accurate.

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
  • Add Time Over Target (TOT) data field
  • Add ability to the airport review page to pre-select chart for the active approach
  • Add ability for graphical flight plan editing when navigation is not active
  • Add message to indicate when SD card format is incompatible
  • Change map symbol for visual reporting points
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.07
  • Includes update to GPS software version 3.10
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.80

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 10-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM

The Bandit Flight Team thanks you for the "TOT" feature.
flying
Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Can you add the TOT feature to the G3X non-touch? That is a great new feature!!!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Default Panel Mount Wiring

How would you go about connecting the bare wire panel mount audio to a 3.5mm audio jack.
I know somewhere I have read that there is impedance issues.
I do not have an audio panel but want to feed straight into my Bose headset.
Thanks in Advance
Old 10-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Default 3D Vision

Steve,

Concerning to 3D vision is it possible to use the bug indicator and send a NMEA output steer command to a connected autopilot?

Would be a great feature to set a course from 3D vision page.

Best regards and thanks
gFlyer