Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Default RV-12iS Assist Handle - Available for Retrofit?

I was just looking at the recently posted pictures from the Synergy fly-in. Does anyone know if that handy looking cockpit entry/egress handle is available for retrofit to earlier airplanes? (Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread that my search does not show up.)
Old 10-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Hi John -- As I recall someone installed a nice drawer pull handle from Home Depot at the top of their RV-12 front panel -- I think it may be in the Modifications thread? Snowing yet at the Lake? -- David
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I was just looking at the recently posted pictures from the Synergy fly-in. Does anyone know if that handy looking cockpit entry/egress handle is available for retrofit to earlier airplanes? (Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread that my search does not show up.)
When I was at Van's this summer Rian told me the access handle would be available.

Also the strengthening plates for the canopy rails should become available.

Since they are still ramping up the iS fuselage production, I would give them a while before trying to order these parts.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM

Correct.
It will be available as retrofitable parts (once the RV-12iS fuselage kit deliveries are under way (still planned for sometime this month - October)

FYI, the design involves add more than just a handle. To allow it to take any abuse than users are likely to ever subject it to, the installation also incorporates two narrow longitudinal ribs that extend between the firewall and the instrument panel, and are riveted to the fwd top skin.

There are a few other retrofitable parts also.
The stabilator tips, redesigned canopy latch, and gear leg opening closeouts will also retrofit to Gen. 1 fuselages.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 PM

Thanks Scott. I had been waiting for someone to ask about the gear closeouts since OSH.

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is, dual ECUs, dual 30 amp alternators
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 AM

Thanks for chiming in Scott. I figured there had to be some structural beefing up to support the handle, and I certainly wouldn't cob in a hardware store handle! Sounds like the timing might be right for a few upgrades at the next CI in the spring.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM

I liked the handle idea and found my 12 a challenge to get into and out of, if my age induced arthritis was having a bad day I machined up a handle from 6061 T6. The Vans handle is shorter and attaches to the open panel. I made mine wide enough to attach through the vertical angle structure directly behind the panel face. This is the strongest area to get a hold of. The bracing from the panel forward is not a bad idea. I think it was driven by the preference for the shorter and lighter handle Vans used. In other words, mine is not bending anything and I did not install the forward bracing.