- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Default WiFi in metal hangar building

Any tech guys out in VAF world that speak I.T. well enough to help me choose equipment well enough for getting WiFi to a group of metal hangars? There is hardwired internet at an airport maintenance building elevated about 1000' feet from my hangar which happens to be the furthest away. It is line of sight from my hangar roof and I don't mind putting up some sort of small antenna. I think I can get other hangar owners to chip in on this project. I'd sure like to use WiFi to pre-heat my engine and check weather and file flight plans online. Recommendations?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM

I can use Alexa either in person or remotely (via app) to turn stuff on and off using an electrical outlet similar to Bruce's (I have an Amazon Spot in the hangar - which also makes for great Pandora streaming!)

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sun View Post
Any tech guys out in VAF world that speak I.T. well enough to help me choose equipment well enough for getting WiFi to a group of metal hangars? There is hardwired internet at an airport maintenance building elevated about 1000' feet from my hangar which happens to be the furthest away. It is line of sight from my hangar roof and I don't mind putting up some sort of small antenna. I think I can get other hangar owners to chip in on this project. I'd sure like to use WiFi to pre-heat my engine and check weather and file flight plans online. Recommendations?
Greg,

I was a network engineer prior to being a software engineer and just set this kind of thing up at my hangar - sending WiFi about 300 ft from FBO. Cost was about $125 for equipment.

2x Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 and associated mounts (1 Window suction cup and 1 wall/pipe mount).. Also need CAT 5/6 wire and an access point. You could go first to a switch and run wires to adjacent hangars for their access points.

If you have clear line of site, you could use the 5GHz model (slightly more expensive).

Send me a PM or email and we can talk it through.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 10-10-2017 at 03:24 PM.