VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Default Looks Great!

Congrats, and thanks for sharing your first flight video. Every time I see one, it provides motivation to head out to the shop and debur a few more parts!
www.myrv14build.blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Congratulation, Tom!

Great job on the airplane and the video! Thanks for all your helpful posts! Working on my first; assembling the canopy frame presently and very much looking forward to that first flight!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Silver?
:-)

Good job Tom.

HR
Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 PM

She's a beauty!
Congrats Tom.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Four nice flying days later and I have 14 hours on the aircraft. Most of my issues have been related to electronics. Nothing serious, basically just learning how to use the Garmin system and make changes to the programming. There is a lot going on.
Two issues today that Scott MacDonald from Vans' helped me with. The first was erratic MP readings at higher power settings. Scott informed me the the Garmin system requires a restrictor in the MP line. I remember installing the MP fitting in the engine and wondering why there was not restrictor there. I had installed them in other aircraft but I was just following the plans. Anyways, a restrictor greatly helped. Scott had recommended one with a hole for a #60 drill. I did not have one of those but did have one with a slightly larger hole. I installed this and it got rid of almost all the fluctuations.

The other issue is with grounding the fuel sender on the left tank. The local ground is apparently not good enough and it is giving me low fuel level readings.
The right tank is spot on. I tried tightening some of the screws, those with the star washers, and it solved the problem for about half an hour of flight. Tomorrow I will try to run a dedicated ground wire to the fuel sender body and see if that solves the issue.

The RV14 tail dragger sits higher then most of the aircraft I have flown, even my rocket. The wing is amazing and stalls at a very low speed. Ground effect is much greater then I am used to and I have to say that I am struggling with that stiff gear. Tonight I felt that I had enough high power hours on the engine that I could do some touch and goes and that helped a lot in getting some consistency in approaches and touch downs. If you flare a bit high it will bounce and float until it doesn't!
The engine is well matched to the airframe and the acceleration from a take off is pretty rocket like. The extra surface area of the wing gets this plane into the air in a hurry.
I am really enjoying the cabin room and visibility it will be a great cross country aircraft.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 10-03-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the reports on your phase one. Are you happy with your wheel fairings given you set them up before the engine went on? I am just at that stage and considering doing your method without engine on.
It seems logical to me that it would be good to setup without load on wheels as that is the flying configuration and would make sure the wheel pants are true for flying .
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 AM

Yes it was better to install the wheel pants early in the build. The gear fairings and upper and lower fairings are done later.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com