- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Yeah, attacked was not the right word. What I was after was someone who had actually tested the two and documented the resulting differences. Like I said, Iím kind of a numbers guy...

I am the ultimate numbers guy Data has no opinion.

There is no doubt a post of mine going back to about 2009 when I went down this road. We fitted the machined ports (probably from A/spruce) as the SafeAir may not have been on the market then.

The story goes like this.....flew the plane, it had a VERY slow TAS, 9 knots slow. Did a GPS box to verify it. Static error also meant a large altimetry error too, I think about 140 feet I calculated at the time.

I thought glue a vans rivet head on, see what happens. WOW...now I had the fastest RV10 in the world, but the GPS box proved the error swung the other way. I thought lets try a file and see if I can change them.....it worked a bit. Out of frustration I thought lets try a "fence" like some certified aircraft have. I had some aluminium welding rod handy, which I made into an arc and some epoxy glue. This was only temporary right!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...XKDiv02FUfjzGV

Well that worked..... with less than 2 knots error at any test, it was a wash. Now ask me what I did with those temporary additions? :roll eyes: Yes still there.

Use whatever you like but a GPS box is the only way to test/correct for error. And yes I have had to help correct many others since with various methods.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 PM

I have responded in red and caps.....not because I am SHOUTING at you, but for clarity or who wrote what. Hope this helps you understand they why's and where's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
As simple as I can say it:

1. I am not disputing the field data that the pop rivet works, it does. NOT ALWAYS - YOU MUST TEST

2. I am using a machined static port WITH THE SAME PROFILE as the rivet. MEANS NOTHING - YOU MUST TEST

3. I am using the machined part to take advantage of the NPT fitting inside. GREAT - THAT IS WHAT WE THOUGHT AND DID

4. I wondered if anyone had documented data for differences between the two. DATA FROM ANYONE, I HAVE A SPREADSHEET, BUT IT JUST PROVES WHAT I EXPLAINED IN THE PREVIOUS POST. THE NUMBERS WERE ONLY USEFUL TO ME ON MY PLANE, MAY NOT APPLY TO YOURS.

5. I am curious, from an engineer's perspective, what the difference is, that's all. UNLESS YOU WIND TUNNEL TEST IT IS HARD TO SAY

To your point about researching, no, I did that before I decided on the ports that I have already installed (several years ago). That research is the reason that the ports I selected have the same 3D profile as the rivet they replace. There should be no discernible difference between these ports and the rivets. SAME SIZE, SHAPE AND UNDETECTABLE TO THE HUMAN EYE THE SAME?

I do appreciate the advice and knowledge available on this forum and it has saved me many, many hours of build time and an unknown amount of dollars saved...

Hopefully, I will soon join the ranks of flying RVs... YOU WILL BUT THE TEST FLIGHT PERIOD IS WHERE YOU IRON OUT THE BUGS. BOEING AND AIRBUS DO THE SAME.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:33 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks David...It is interesting to hear your thoughts.

Yes, looking forward to testing!

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+