- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Trio

I have a Trio autopilot in my RV-6, and the gains are all easily set by the user, and can be set inflight. I recently encountered some pretty heavy turbulence, and the autopilot was "over-reacting" a bit. I was able to easily adjust the gains inflight, and the autopilot handled the turbulence extremely well after that.

My aileron servo is installed in the wingtip, using the Trio mount. Very easy, just remove the wing tip and install.

Great support from the company, as well.

As Sam said, just another data point.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent
Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 6A. It does not have an auto pilot and I would like to install one. What does everyone recommend for an AP to be installed in a flying aircraft. I have been looking at the Trutrak Gemini.

Thanks,
Mike
I've had a TT autopilot for about 10 years in a fairly basic RV-6. I've been very pleased with it and would buy a Gemini if I was in the market for a replacement.

As far as servo locations go, the easiest roll servo installation may be under the seat pans, and (I think) all of the pitch servos use basically the same installation near the bellcrank just behind the baggage compartment.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Give me a call tonight or tomorrow and I can talk to you about the options, costs and features hat would work best for your mission and existing panel.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Rv-6 autopilot

I have a mgl iefis lite in my rv-6 with mgl's digital servos and I love it. MGL is very good. My son also has a RV-10 with the MGL Voyager and his autopilot is great too.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM

I had the Trio (non-pro model) with a Nav Aid servo in the wing when I bought my RV6. It worked well. At one point I decided that the servo was getting a little tired. I sent the Nav Aid servo into Trio and they re-freshed it for me (very low dollars charged). The system worked great and I was very happy with it, and the service received. I now have the TruTrak 385 Vizion. I am very happy with it also. If the Trio Pro would have been in a smaller package (2 1/4" instrument, like the TT) I would have likely stayed with the Trio.

The Trio also has a digital Standard Rate Turn display (the TT does not), works but it is not fast enough acting for me to fly it well under the hood using it a primary instrument. If the Standard Rate Turn display is of major interest to you I would suggest that you demo that feature.
Eagle II N92CE (sold)
Hiperbipe N777HT (sold)
PA22-160 N9322D (sold)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

These are my opinions:
Servos: TruTrak is physically in the loop all the time; control feel is not affected. TT uses a shear pin in case of a jam.
Trio uses a clutch to physically disconnect from the control loop. If clutch fails in a jam, there is a stripable gear.
TT control head is physically smaller, if panel space is a concern.
Trio control head is larger, allowing more controls, less multiplexing, imho easier to use.
If you have electric trim, Trio can automatically keep plane in trim thru speed changes. It can also run the trim in a manual mode, with the trim running faster with low airspeed, slower at high airspeeds.
I chose the Trio but they're both good autopilots.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 AM

Default If you already have a dynon in the plane...

If you already have a dynon in the plane it is the natural way to go and the install would be pretty easy. They use a shear pin.
If you even think you might go in the direction of a nice glass panel with Dynon, you could put in a used D10A and then upgrade later to the Skyview and still use the same servos. Their customer service is very good.

That being said, if you don't currently have a dynon product now, True Track is mature and very well liked and the support is outstanding. The owner is very involved and commited to the experimental... and now the certified world.
Based - GPM