Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Since a UAT unit like the EchoUAT meets all of the requirements for ADS-B in the US (for now), I do agree that the tailBeaconX isn't something someone in the US would be interested in. It's specifically intended for the rest-of-the-world market that elected to use space-based ADS-B, while maintaining the ability to work with US systems.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
This is true. But what I paid, or didn't pay, for it is irrelevant.

Cheaper, yes. Easier, no. The difficulty of installation doesn't change with what I paid, or didn't pay, for it.
Of course it's not irrelevant and the difficulty of installation has to be part of the decision just like what you paid for it has to be.

Examples:

You get two items to install. Item A costs $1000 to install because it's easier and Item B costs $2000 to install because it's more complicated.

If you can get both items for the same price then the one costing less to install looks way more attractive than the one costing more to install.

In your case you got it free so all you had to consider was where you were going to install it and that cost.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Of course it's not irrelevant and the difficulty of installation has to be part of the decision just like what you paid for it has to be.
I'll try one last time because you're still not getting it: What *I* paid for it has nothing to do with *anyone else's* potential installation. Of course any other customer will have to compare the cost of each option and make a decision.

Difficulty of installation is absolutely a factor, but the difficulty will not be the same in every aircraft as there is more than one place for a strobe. Not everyone has it in their rudder, some have it on their vertical stab, some have it in their wingtips. One doesn't *have* to lose their strobe to install a tailBeacon.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 PM

Default TBX

I would be interested to find out if anyone has been able to obtain a report from Nav Canada or from uAvionix as to the accuracy and compliance with the Aireon's space-based ADS-B system?

I installed the uAvionix TBX unit in the rudder of my RV-10 about 6 weeks ago. Except for laying a two conductor shielded 20awg wire from the tail to the instrument panel the installation for me was relatively easy. Since I have GRT EFIS' it was a simple matter of inserting the two wires in a connector on the back of one of the screens and re-configuring an open serial port.

Both the transponder and the ADS-B out (US ground based system) has worked perfectly from day one. I am still waiting to find out if the Aireon' space-based ADS-B system is receiving my signal.

Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, uAvionixX ADS-B out, Sky Radar WX and Traffic, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 04-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Default Yup

My setup is working perfectly.

Christian and Trent from Uavionics secured the testing data from Nav Canada and the FAA.

All seems to be working well with the TBX.

Don
http://www.mykitlog.com/Don%20Patrick
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Has anyone mounted one of these on the upper tip of the rudder?

I am worried about the abuse it might take so close to my tailwheel (kind of expensive to be so close to the dirt on soft field landings)

Interesting device since it is ADSB1090 and useable above 18000 feet vs UAT which is not.

Not too often do I go that high but I have...
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAltRV4 View Post
I think since most of their market will be looking for a "drop in" replacement for the existing tail light, this isn't likely to happen soon. It would require some serious fibreglass and/or metalwork to make a fairing that it could mount in on the rear edge of your rudder.

Quote:
I am worried about the abuse it might take so close to my tailwheel (kind of expensive to be so close to the dirt on soft field landings)
FWIW, on my RV-6 the lower antenna arm is well above the bottom of the fibreglass lower rudder piece. In order to damage the tailBeaconX on landing anywhere, you'd have to do some serious damage to your tailwheel and/or rudder.

The larger concern for me is moving the plane around with a towbar... I have to be aware of the tailBeaconX every time I turn the wheel lest the towbar contact the lower arm. The original tailBeaconX design was better in this regard, it had a solid plastic protective case over the arms. Sadly they couldn't make that work for production so the arms are now just exposed.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAltRV4 View Post
I initially thought this would be a good alternate mounting point too, but started thinking about broadcast interference from the rudder structure. The promotional picture of a 172 has the 'X' mounted at the top of the rudder, but that rudder trailing edge tapers aft. With a RV rudder trailing edge tapering forward, I wonder how degraded the transmission would be. Maybe UAvionics would be able to answer this.
As for creating a modified fairing for the top of the rudder, should be an easy (but messy) task for anyone who experienced the joys of fairing in their windshield.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 05-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
I initially thought this would be a good alternate mounting point too, but started thinking about broadcast interference from the rudder structure. The promotional picture of a 172 has the 'X' mounted at the top of the rudder, but that rudder trailing edge tapers aft. With a RV rudder trailing edge tapering forward, I wonder how degraded the transmission would be.
I'm not sure why it would be any different than mounting it at the bottom of the RV rudder? In any case, testing showed no issues with it mounted down there. If anything, higher up would get it away from the horizontal stab and fuselage which might have provided more of a signal block... And yet, that wasn't an issue in testing either.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:26 AM

The top position would be great for satellite transmission (Canada) for sure but I would wonder about signal downward ((US) being blocked. I would assume UAvionics has looked into this, when the time comes for me to purchase an 'X', this will be my first question to them. I would prefer the top rudder positioning for my aircraft.

Cheers