- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Best Pwr/Wgt

I think you gotta go with a tricked out parallel valve 360. The dudes at Lycon claim to get 230 hp on their (maybe a little generous?) dyno.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
That was my thought as well. My IO-370 HC Cold sump arrived a few weeks ago. Order early!
That's almost exactly the engine I have in mind. IO-370, cold sump, high compression, with dual SDS CPI2 in lieu of magnetos.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 05-22-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShort View Post
I've spent tons of time thinking about the best engine for the -8 (obviously, as I have had the project for 15 years now ... )

I'd like to keep the plane as light as I can. Not super interested in an angle valve motor or a -390.

I'd like to know what is the best combo of weight / power available - specifically, manufacturer / engine shop and specific options. I'm planning on a constant speed prop. I'm guessing this will be an IO-360 of some variant, though I am totally open to some of the other options out there (-340, -375, -380, etc)

I'm sure others have pondered this and was wondering what people have come up with.
Another data point for you. I’m having a Superior IO-360-B1AC2 engine built by a local performance engine builder. This is a carb to injection conversion on a flying RV8 and wanted to minimize conversion work so I’m sticking with the vertical induction. He will port and flow balance the heads, cut special valve seats, balance the crank and rods, and use 9.5 pistons. He will test run and dyno it when complete and expects around 210hp. According to the builder, the head work alone provides around 20hp over stock and the balance comes from the increase in CR. I believe Lycon does similar head work with comparable results. Pushing these for extra HP is controversial as it adds additional stress, etc. Your actual mileage may vary.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 PM

Beat me to it. There are some nice engines listed above. Id pick one of those if funds allow, if not a rebuild parallel valve -360 and take it to Lycon. Their head work is amazing. Really wakes up the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattin35 View Post
I think you gotta go with a tricked out parallel valve 360. The dudes at Lycon claim to get 230 hp on their (maybe a little generous?) dyno.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberrn View Post
Beat me to it. There are some nice engines listed above. I’d pick one of those if funds allow, if not a rebuild parallel valve -360 and take it to Lycon. Their head work is amazing. Really wakes up the engine.
Yeah, sure seems to wake them up!

Stu has a video clip of his IO-360-A1B6 at Lycon on the Dyno delivering 239.4 hp (this is an angle valve, but impressive) Finding someone that knows how to do head work is really important to making these little engines deliver.

See around the 6:30 min point in this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B84Cek50t0
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction