VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Default BNC Center Pins

I don’t know how many people have had this problem, maybe I’m the only one, but I have several male BNC connectors that I can’t use because I’ve buggered up the gold plated center pin that goes on the business end of the RG(whatever) coax cable to be connected to your antenna, or your radio. I asked Stein about it a few years ago, but he didn’t have any center pins for sale, and didn’t know where to get any. Well, I’m sure Stein has found a source for those by now, but they are a pretty low cost item, so may not ever be available on his website. I recently found a source, so if any of you, like me, have some male BNC’s that are in need of a center pin - here they are. They are identical to the Amphenol pins included with their male BNC connector kits, and they cost just $3.22 for a 10 pack of these pins. I bought 2 packs so I have some extras for guys at my airport. Showmecables.com....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9bb0ce40_m.jpg

Picture doesn’t appear very clear. If you need a better picture, let me know and I’ll email it to you. Or you can just take a look on their website.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020
Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post

Picture doesnít appear very clear. If you need a better picture, let me know and Iíll email it to you. Or you can just take a look on their website.
Your pic:
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

GlasflŁgel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-22-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM

Scottóthanks for the link. I also have a number of the connectors and need only pins. Sure wish Iíd had this source when I was building.
Dues paid to 12-1-20
www.mykitlog.com/skyking90200
Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I donít know how many people have had this problem, maybe Iím the only one, but I have several male BNC connectors that I canít use because Iíve buggered up the gold plated center pin that goes on the business end of the RG(whatever) coax cable to be connected to your antenna, or your radio. I asked Stein about it a few years ago, but he didnít have any center pins for sale, and didnít know where to get any. Well, Iím sure Stein has found a source for those by now, but they are a pretty low cost item, so may not ever be available on his website. I recently found a source, so if any of you, like me, have some male BNCís that are in need of a center pin - here they are. They are identical to the Amphenol pins included with their male BNC connector kits, and they cost just $3.22 for a 10 pack of these pins. I bought 2 packs so I have some extras for guys at my airport. Showmecables.com....

Picture doesnít appear very clear. If you need a better picture, let me know and Iíll email it to you. Or you can just take a look on their website.
I would consider this post as one of those true "gold mine" posts... A post where a hugely helpful gold nugget of information is made easily available for the rest of us. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM

I usually have a few of these (& proper crimp tool) on the shelf for fixing or fabricating coax runs. Comes with housing & crimp ring too as I have yet to salvage a reusable B&C connector.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=9754
Old 05-23-2020, 06:40 PM

Yep, me too. I have several of these. They come with the center pin, but the first part to be crimped is the pin, and if you goof that up (which I have done, way more than once and I have the correct crimper), you end up with a new BNC connector with no pin, hence the purchase of extra pins. A 32 cent pins keeps me from throwing away a 3 dollar connector. Not a huge boondoggle, but I hate to ditch a perfectly good connector because I donít have the tiny part that makes it work.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Yup, I think the same way. Thanks for the link. I've got some on the way.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 18 yrs and 99.5% done
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
4 L-2 projects on deck