- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
... The 9 was a good airplane for us but I didn't like flying it in rough air.
A little drift... I have learned to slow way down in turbulent air and just let the plane roll with the bumps rather than hammer through them. I also turn the AP off on those conditions as it makes for a much smoother ride.

Still LOVE my -9!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-19-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Did you see the airspeed instantly drop? Hard to do that in a plane without wind shear or an arresting hook, unless you hit something head on !
NO, watched it multiple times and don't see the airspeed drop, only gradually going down till the turn on the ground.
Dues paid
Old 05-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Default quick drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
NO, watched it multiple times and don't see the airspeed drop, only gradually going down till the turn on the ground.
Looking at the ASI in the bottom right corner, there was a quick drop from about 80 to 60. The drop from 70 to 60 was very quick.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:56 PM

That last sudden drop in airspeed from 70 to 60 MPH when the bottom fell out, looks like it coincided with your final flare to a 3-point attitude. That may have helped ‘cushion the blow’, and also points out the great forgiving nature of the RV4 “land-o-magic” landing gear when in that 3-point attitude. It’s the nicest landing RV model there is. I also noticed the sudden tone change when this last negative performance wind shear was encountered. I’m not sure the tone helped in this situation because it happened so quickly.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020

Last edited by Scott Hersha : 05-19-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 PM

[quote=N941WR;1431762
I flexed the right gear enough to crack the gear leg fairing.
[/QUOTE]

I thought only I had done that, and it was an installation issue. I have made some mods to allow more movement.

BAVAFA - -I had to watch twice to catch it right in final flair.

RV-7
At Paint Shop
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 AM

Default Normal Landing Comparison

Scott, agree. What tone did let me know what my energy state was as soon as the event occurred, which helps to reinforce the requirement to hold the aircraft in the proper landing attitude.

One other point to ponder is that a go-around would have also been perfectly acceptable. One interesting airline statistic is the small number of go-arounds after an unstable approach or bounced landing--I think this demonstrates that as pilots, the instinct to land when in close proximity to the ground is pretty strong, and no doubt when my wheels contacted the ground I shifted from "fly" mode to "land" mode. Also, if you watch the video carefully, there is a portion in the landing roll where the tail comes up slightly. This is partly due to the nature of our runway, and partly due to my right elbow failing to properly maintain the tail-low attitude during deceleration.

There is usually a "tree canyon" effect at our field, but maintaining an ONSPEED condition during the transition below the tree line and into the flare usually provides sufficient cushion to transition to the ambient conditions at the runway surface. Not so in this case. I was fortunate that the mains were close to the ground when airspeed dropped and AOA increased dramatically.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the video at the start of this thread with a normal landing under ideal conditions: https://youtu.be/gB3Vxkabo3c. Note the difference in how the standby ASI behaves throughout, as well as the steady transition (trend) in the tone pattern.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 05-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:23 PM

Here's a tail cam video of a wind-shear landing I made recently. The shear wasn't front-to-back, but mostly side-to-side. I came in hot to account for the uncertainty of the gusts, but almost overdid it. I floated for a long way and used most of the runway to get off. In the flare, my nose was high and I couldn't see down the runway so I drifted toward the left side (bad thing). My AoA was going off so I knew I would set down soon regardless In the video, the ground speed is displayed and the wind was 6 Kts, varying from dead ahead to 45 degrees from the right right. Enjoy my ordeal...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4yimpe14i...nding.mp4?dl=0