What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailer for hauling RV9(A)/7(A)

pjeitler

I'm New Here
Wondering what size enclosed trailer or box truck I would need to haul a RV7 or 9, tri gear or tail dragged. Wings removed. Also removing empennage if necessary. Considering purchasing almost finished kit or non flying project and wanted to see how feasible it would be to haul for about 1000 miles.

Thank you.

Trailer

Wondering what size enclosed trailer or box truck I would need to haul a RV7 or 9, tri gear or tail dragged. Wings removed. Also removing empennage if necessary. Considering purchasing almost finished kit or non flying project and wanted to see how feasible it would be to haul for about 1000 miles.

Thank you.

If you really want enclosed, pretty big. 20' deep minimum. Kinda depends on what is on the firewall. 16' from bulkhead to firewall. 8' for wings and tail feathers. I have a Basic Builder Log link on my blog. One tab is measurements of primary components. Might help.

I would tie it downn wrap it really well in tarps and haul it on a flatbed.

Wings do really well vertically, resting on the leading edge. Get some foil backed insulation foam (4x8), cut it into strips and make pads for the wings. That's what I did.

Here is a photo of my RV-9A on my 20' car hauler transported from NC to my hanger in Gladwin MI. It took a lot of pre-planning on my part to prepare the trailer and build a wing crate that would fit under the belly before I drove down to pick up the plane. Since the wheel stance is wider than the trailer, it put the wheels over the fenders of the trailer. I had to fabricate a custom wood cradle that fit over the fenders to fit the plane, and a nose wheel box also. Ramps also were fabricated out of 2 X 10's. I had a cheap small HF 12 volt winch mounted on the front of the trailer. The plane went up first and was securely strapped down. I then strategically covered it in moving blankets and shrink wrapped it for road rash protection. The filled up wing crate with everything else I could stuff in there was winched up next and again strapped down. The rest of the loose parts went in the van. I made the trip in a little over 14 hours back to Gladwin, over 800 miles. The plane did not budge an inch and arrived home damage free. I took almost 8 hours to pack and load everything up, even with having everything built before hand. Much longer than I had thought.
The trailer has electric brakes and I would not attempt the trip without them.
35653720293_f621c30477_o.jpg
[/url]20638899_10209132921260198_4580464348683668580_n by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Send me your phone number and I'll text you the pictures of how I loaded and hauled my -9A from San Jose, CA to OKC.

Foil insulation was mentioned. I used some foil insulation and it rubbed on the skins in a few places and caused damage. It looked like corrosion but I think was just the skuffing of the foil on the aluminum skin. It was a pain to deal with - scotch brite and lots of buffing.

When we moved, I was able to get my 6A on the gear in a 26' UHAUL. The gear track is slightly wider than the door so it had to go through one leg at a time. I don't know if the 7A has the same track.

I bought one of those kits that turns a pair of 2x8s into a ramp, it worked well. I used a winch attached to the main gear to haul it up, don't try to push the thing up the ramp into a box truck unless you have a whole bunch of people. It is nice to be able to go slow and stop when needed.

I would remove the tail, it is pretty easy to get off (compared to the wings at least.

winch recommended

... I used a winch attached to the main gear to haul it up, don't try to push the thing up the ramp into a box truck unless you have a whole bunch of people. It is nice to be able to go slow and stop when needed.....
A winch is not just to get it up, but to get it down as well. I had quite a bit of excitement when I "rolled" my 8 off the back of a moving van with some crappy wooden ramps - really happy there was no one in the way - I was steering it with the tailwheel going backwards trying to keep the mains on the wood. Exciting, but it could have turned very ugly very quickly.

Moved a 6A in an inclosed 26' car hauler from Iowa to western Canada. Trailer had cabinets in front so had to remove empennage, prop and spinner to get it to fit. Also had to squeeze the main gear legs in a bit with a come-along to get it in the rear door. Wings and misc parts were wrapped and rode on the floor below the fuselage.

This is how I did

Mine traveled from NY to FL on enclosed trailer.
My friend move his Highlander inside this trailer (foldable wings), so I assumed would fit the RV, and did.
Wings were on cradles one on each side of the trailer.
My main gear were installed by that time, making easier to move and attach to the floor rails.

mHcwcMWl.jpg

Back