What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repair or Replace Garmin SL-40 Comm for E-LSA

1974av8r

Hello all,

I was incredibly disheartened to see my Garmin SL-40 comm radio go "dark" the other day while working in the shop.

My avionics kit was purchased in 2013 (life has happened over the last seven years, but my power-plant kit was finally ordered last month :D). Obviously, the SL-40 is out of warranty.

I took the radio into a reputable shop here in Orlando, and my hopes were very high when the chassis was opened and a very small fuse was discovered to be blown. A temporary circuit breaker was installed over the fuse terminals, and we attempted a bench test. The temporary breaker did not pop, but the radio still showed no sign of life.

Long story short, Garmin wants $850 (plus shipping) to repair the SL-40.

Two questions:

- If I switch to a different radio (say an ICOM A220) will I have problems when it comes to getting my airworthiness certificate (E-LSA)?

- Does paying the $850 make more sense....even though it seems crazy?

Thank you in advance,

I'd get a Garmin GTR-200, if you have to, if running a Skyview, Touch or HDX. You need the correct Van's approved radio if you are building a E-LSA model.

Hello all,
I was incredibly disheartened to see my Garmin SL-40 comm radio go "dark" the other day while working in the shop.
My avionics kit was purchased in 2013 (life has happened over the last seven years, but my power-plant kit was finally ordered last month :D). Obviously, the SL-40 is out of warranty.
I took the radio into a reputable shop here in Orlando, and my hopes were very high when the chassis was opened and a very small fuse was discovered to be blown. A temporary circuit breaker was installed over the fuse terminals, and we attempted a bench test. The temporary breaker did not pop, but the radio still showed no sign of life.
Long story short, Garmin wants $850 (plus shipping) to repair the SL-40.
Two questions:
- If I switch to a different radio (say an ICOM A220) will I have problems when it comes to getting my airworthiness certificate (E-LSA)?
- Does paying the $850 make more sense....even though it seems crazy?
Thank you in advance,

To be eligible for E-LSA A/W, the aircraft must be "exactly" as the plans call out. Hint, there is nothing that says the radio must be operative. After issuance of the A/W Certificate, you may make changes. You should contact your inspector for his/her input.

1.) Good point, Mel.

2.) I may have an SL-40 for sale very soon; we're about to install a GTR 200B in our RV-12 to replace the SL-40 and Flightcom intercom. PM me if you're interested.

If your plane is a way out from being final inspected then don't get in too big a hurry to replace the SL-40. Are you using the unit while building? Like listening to frequencies in the shop?

While an E-LSA kit is supposed to match the kit manufacturers' S-LSA version, once certificated, you as the E-LSA builder can begin to make changes on your own in the same vein as an EAB aicraft.

Options:

1.) Pay Garmin $850 now on the out of warranty SL40. Short fuse warranty on repair.

2.) Look for a serviceable used SL40 in classifieds. They should be in the same price range as the repair cost. Still no warranty

3.) Buy a new GTR 200(B) now and change out the tray and connectors. This option will be an equipment cost of between $1,150 and $1,270 depending on whether you want built-in Bluetooth. I don't know if this will affect your issuance of a certificate at final inspection. Call Vans to find out. New warranty will start the day the unit is delivered whether installed or not. The GTR 200 are great and were designed by the same team who brought us the legendary SL-40.

4.) The Icom A220 uses the same connector but I think the locking slot in the tray is different so that would require swapping out tray keeping the original connector or modifying the SL40 tray for the lock. Might want to ask somebody in the know like Icom. Be careful with the display ribbon cable which must be removed and inserted to remove the bezel for installation or removal. Mixed reviews online.

So 1.) + 2,) = a wash (or total). Older components and limited support as time goes on. Go either route if you really want an SL40. Built in intercom is basic. They do work great but are showing their age. This would be a fine way to go as a smooth way to get the bird in the air with minimal fuss, with the understanding the next go around would probably merit other options.

3.) GTR 200s are awesome and interface nicely with other Garmin equipment. 10 watt transmit. Great built-in stereo 3D intercom on par with the best. Large modern display and easy tuning with great sound. Available in the $1100 range.

4.) Mixed reports from the field on the Icoms. The buttons and knobs are really nice and they play well with GPS tuning via the SL40 protocol. I like Icoms but there are a few design nits that are not industry standard. One of the bugaboos for normal mechanics and owners is having to remove and re-install the display bezel and ribbon cable to slide in or slide out. Work better for a cell phone repair technician than an A&P. Currently a $100 rebate bringing the price just North of $1K.

Also rans: Consider a Trig TY91 round 2.25" diameter transceiver. $1,100. They work awesome but this would require a whole different panel approach since it doesn't fit into the existing stack. The GTR 200 would make more sense here. Trig does make the TY96A that would fit so you might look into that too but those suckers ar $1700+.

In the end you will be out somewhere between $900 and $1,350 for repair or replacement unit and labor will vary from between nil (slide in, slide out) to a few hundred. Nothing if you do it yourself.

Jim

Last edited:
No battery charger only

This may be completely unrelated, but if powering your avionics with a battery charger or power supply of unknown quality, make sure you do it via your battery.
In other words, hook up the charger to your battery and then power your avionics from the battery.

In theory avionics should be able to handle voltage spikes and higher voltages, but I'm not certain that's the case in the real world.

I know this should be common knowledge, but I think it bears repeating.

Finn

Just another data point. I was helping a friend wire up the panel in a very slow build RV-9. Configuration was:
Apollo SL 15 audio panel
Garmin GNS 430 with GI 106
Apollo SL 30 with MD200-306
Plus a full Dynon Touch display with all Dynon bells and whistles.

Powered up each unit individually. All was good until the SL 30 was power on. The display flashed on and off a few times, went blank, and smoke was seen near the unit. All wiring was verified as being correct. This unit was purchased new from Van's about 18 years ago and had never been opened until installed in this aircraft.

A check with the local FAA authorized repair shop turned up this nuget of information. Although not common, it does occasionally happen. The unit was sent back to Garmin for repair at their standard repair cost. They had to replace the NAV board in the unit.

Our suspecision is that some of the capacitors had "aged out" due to non use. This would be similar to the need for "reforming" capacitors in older Whellen strobe power supplies when the then new units sat on the shelf for years before being powered up for the first time.

Thank you.

You guys are incredible, and I can't say thanks enough for the input. I think this is my fourth post in nine years, but I read (and pay my dues for) this site on a very regular basis. Mel, I always respect your advice, and Jim, I seriously appreciate the way you break it down. The GTR 200B looks like a perfect radio, and I am going to start doing my homework.
Thanks again everyone.

Interested in selling your SL-40

Richard,

Are you interested in selling your failed SL-40?

If the price is right, I would be interested in helping you pay for that new GTR200B.

I am going to be in St Pete for the month of April, so I can come over and pick it up if interested.

Email me at [email protected] if you are interested in selling.

Brian

Back