What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about WINGS

tkatc

Well Known Member
My RV consultant has advised me to research a potential problem while looking for a set of RV-8 wings. I am in negotiations with someone who is selling a set of QB wings and will be going to inspect them shortly. My question is about the center section. Is the center section part of the wing kit or fuse kit? I dont remember the seller mentioning anything about the center section so I am concerned about the potential problems of matching them up to a new center section if I have to purchase that from the factory. I know there have been issues in the past and need informed advice. Potential pitfalls?

Should be no problem

You can confirm with Joe or Daryl at Van's but I believe with the new system the wings and spars will mate fine.

Early vs Late wings

The early RV-8 wings, the center section bulkhead (F-804) was match-drilled to the spars and shipped with the wing kit.
As Van's CAD and NC-machining capabilities expanded, the newer kits are made precisely enough that wings are interchangable with a center section.
I'm not sure if the F-804 still ships with the wing kits or not, but it doesn't matter - any of the newer NC/matched hole kit wings will fit any of the newer center sections.

So the very important quesiton you need to ask is for the serial number/date of manufacture of the wings you are looking at. Send THAT information with your question to Van's, and they can tell you if they are likley to match up with a new center section or not.

Centre Section

I'm a fairly recent wing kit builder and the centre section didn't come with the kit. Look at Matt Drale's blog. He ordered a new QB fuse kit and he's using the same wings. Shouldn't be a problem if they're the newer generation wings.

Cheers,

DP

The older wings were match drilled with the center section. The later kits were jig drilled. That is IF I understand the production process.

Someone from Van's please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Also, there was an acrobatic GW increase during the RV-8 kit production run. You will want to find out when your wings were built and what acro GW you should use.

I was recently looking at purchasing a partially built 8 kit (SB wings and emp). The wings were about 13 years old. I spoke with Vans about mating old wings on a new fuselage and was told that it was not an issue.
The old SB wings had the pre-built gold anodized spars and the two center section carry though pieces were included. I am going to assume the center sections come as part of the wing kit since they were with these wings and the seller never had a fus kit.

Wings

Older kits the center section came with the wings. New kits the center section comes with the fuselage. If the QB wings don't have the center section with them then they are a newer should line up just fine with the fuselage when you order it. At least that's what I was told during a factory visit this winter.

I did the exact same thing. I bought a set of wings from someone. and ordered my fuse kit from Vans. They said AS LONG AS the wings were not pre 2005 they would match. And they did. PERFECTLY.
Nordo

Back