What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When do I set these rivets?

Blain

Well Known Member
Most of these things are obvious but I can't see why these are left open.

Is it a case of adding to the 51% rule?

Last edited:
I myself set them after the gear was drilled and just before I installed all those screws that surround them. Seemed harder any time later than that. and by the way it was plenty hard as it was already!

Those rivets

Are you slow build or fast build?
I see your bottom forward skins are on. Have you mounted your main gear?

I am working on a slow build. Those rivets are left open when the side skins are riveted to allow the installation of the bottom forward skins. The basic assembly order is to rivet the canoe, mount the main gear, remove the main gear for deburring, finish the bottom forward skins including those two bottom rivets in each gear tower and then re-mount the main gear. Those rivets would be set after the bottom skins are in place and before the main gear are final mounted. I believe the reason they used rivets in this location (as opposed to screws) is because these locations are directly in line with the main gear attach bolts. There isn't enough real estate in the bottom of the gear tower for two nuts.

I'm not sure how the assembly order might change if you are working on a fast build.

Cherrymax???

i am at pretty much the same state on my QB Fuse.
i thought about using cherrymax or other high-shear pop rivets.

i am just concerned about the structural strength when i would use those?
has anyone experience or data on that???

another issue would probably the space available on the inside.........
so even when it is a pain in the rear to set those rivets, the best would probably be to do it the way it is supposed to be built, no matter what!

would appreciate top share those!!!!!

I used the high shear cherry max. But be sure to get long ones! I'm at 200 hours and no problems.
Nordo

Mine is QB.
I think with a "bucking buddy" (and tungsten bar) they will go OK. Don't see a need for Cherrymax. I just didn't want to set them now and find out the reason later. Vans has an order to things.

Skylor, can you give me a hint as to where to look in the plans?

Honestly, it begins with "QB builders jump to page__" I didn't read those sections line by line.

Drawing Sheet

Skylor, can you give me a hint as to where to look in the plans?

Honestly, it begins with "QB builders jump to page__" I didn't read those sections line by line.

Blain,

I don't know the drawing sheet number without looking at mine. They are at my hangar and I won't be able to get by until later in the week.

Is your fuselage the newer -1 or the original?

Skylor

Found it

Skylor was right......

Moral of the story; Spend more time looking before posting:eek:

I used a large-ish Tungsten bar, a 3x gun, Fuse on rotisserie, and a bucking buddy!
They were still a pain to set. Seems very little energy transfers to the bar because of the rigid structure. They get hard before your done.
A mate used Cherrymax on his. (I'll ask him, but I believe he checked with Vans first)
Be prepared to cuss.
Paul.

I used a large-ish Tungsten bar, a 3x gun, Fuse on rotisserie, and a bucking buddy!
They were still a pain to set. Seems very little energy transfers to the bar because of the rigid structure. They get hard before your done.
A mate used Cherrymax on his. (I'll ask him, but I believe he checked with Vans first)
Be prepared to cuss.
Paul.

Plans show #8 machine screws. You might be cussing for nothing.

I, as most others, believed you were referring to the two AN426AD4-7 rivets you had marked, (which I have highlighted) but had rivets sitting in the marked holes. Although they do appear set.

I was trying to convey, as were others, the difficulty in setting those two rivets.

For future readers that follow this thread, akarmy and DaAV8R answered the question as asked. Hope there is no more confusion.

I can assure you, I do have the -8 screws in the correct locations.

Well done to Skylor, he somehow got it.

Happy building.

Paul.

IMAG1048.jpg

I, as most others, believed you were referring to the two AN426AD4-7 rivets you had marked, (which I have highlighted) but had rivets sitting in the marked holes. Although they do appear set.

I was trying to convey, as were others, the difficulty in setting those two rivets.

For future readers that follow this thread, akarmy and DaAV8R answered the question as asked. Hope there is no more confusion.

I can assure you, I do have the -8 screws in the correct locations.

Well done to Skylor, he somehow got it.

Happy building.

Paul.

IMAG1048.jpg

I didn't even notice the red lines. I must have marked those when I mounted the gear. Now I understand the confusion. Best part-no rivets to pound!

Beating a dead horse

Still confused. Can't find any referrence to these screws. However there is a bag of hardware that contains the correct number of screws and lock nuts. But, no washers. The hardware list doesn't even show enough #8 washers. So now I'm questioning if this gets addressed in the finish kit.

Trying to wrap up everything under the forward upper skin.

Blain. You identified the correct drawing reference in your post #10.
It shows the hardware, (screws, AN509-8R10 x 15, (or -8R8 x 2), the washers, AN960-8 (they are the thicker ones), and the nuts, AN365-832A (Nylocks))

The reference page in my manual is 8-40. The very first step.

It begins "Install rivets and screws in all hole locations ..."

Nothing to do with the Finish Kit.

To quote yourself "Moral of the story; Spend more time looking before posting" :D

Paul.

P.S. I virtually live in my Hangar, so the info is usually about 40 feet away.

Blain. You identified the correct drawing reference in your post #10.
It shows the hardware, (screws, AN509-8R10 x 15, (or -8R8 x 2), the washers, AN960-8 (they are the thicker ones), and the nuts, AN365-832A (Nylocks))

The reference page in my manual is 8-40. The very first step.

It begins "Install rivets and screws in all hole locations ..."

Nothing to do with the Finish Kit.

To quote yourself "Moral of the story; Spend more time looking before posting" :D

Paul.

P.S. I virtually live in my Hangar, so the info is usually about 40 feet away.

Duelly chastised. Found the referrence on 8-40.

Back