What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy clearance?

DDUCH

How much clearance should be allowed on the sides and rear of the canopy skirt and the fuselage to have nice fit but not rub paint when closing or opening canopy?

David, I spent lots of time to fit mine as close as possible. I intend to glue a strip of Velcro--the soft side to the fuselage skin. Others have used felt etc to protect the paint and seal the gap. I'm a ways off from flying, but I believe the tighter fit the better. Good luck with your build.

Yes tight!

In the summer mine would expand and be nice and tight. Once the winter came (when I was in NY) the skirt contracted and left air gaps.

On the aft lower corners of my fuselage I placed thick clear plastic to protect the paint where the skirt was tight and would rub.

I also used the soft side of the velcro on the inside edge of the skirt. Works good.

I was lucky enough that my skirts are fitted well. I was just worried too well. I can move the canopy at the rear and see/feel it rubbing the skin. Of course that will rub paint if it moves from vibration in flight. I will look at it as you suggested. And thanks for logging your build on Kitlog, sometimes pictures help solve the problem.

Thanks again.

Back