What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling elevator control horns RV-8

DDUCH

I have finished my empenage and today attached the elevators to the horizontal. I followed the procedure drilling the hole by using bushing in center bearing. I even called Van's on the subtle differences in the two control horns after mounting them. I was advised, follow procedure and drill where it hits, so I did. The first hole was close to the weld on the bracket and the second was closer, after drilling both to size. It will be close with the nut and bolt. It even looked like the weld was left off at that spot from the factory. Was anyone elses that close? I just want to confirm with other builders that mine is within specs.

Close is OK

On mine, the holes were close too. As long as the bolt head and nut will fit it should be OK. You might have to grind a little bit off one edge of the washer. That should be OK.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU. 1200+ hours of fun

The horns on mine were not exactly lined up either, however I did not experience this closeness to the welds. I was more concerned about "edge distance", and it came out more than adequate in the end. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I also found another builder on Kitlog that showed the same problem. I will have to shave a washer but the rest is ok. Just wanted to make sure.

I have finished my empenage and today attached the elevators to the horizontal. I followed the procedure drilling the hole by using bushing in center bearing. I even called Van's on the subtle differences in the two control horns after mounting them. I was advised, follow procedure and drill where it hits, so I did. The first hole was close to the weld on the bracket and the second was closer, after drilling both to size. It will be close with the nut and bolt. It even looked like the weld was left off at that spot from the factory. Was anyone elses that close? I just want to confirm with other builders that mine is within specs.

From what I remember ours was also close and when looking from the side the horns aren't perfectly even.

I found the same on mine....very close and limited edge distance. Had room for the standard nylock nut, but could not get a wrench on it.

Solution was to use an all metal locking nut. I cannot remember the part number, but easily found in van's catalog. These all metal locking nuts have a much smaller head so you can get wrench on it. If you order, you might as well get an assortment of sizes and quantities as they will come in very useful throughout the remainder of your build.

Good luck.

I had the same issues--could not get a socket on the nut. So, I took an old socket, chucked it in a drill and ran it against my belt sander to make a very thin wall socket. However, I think I'll order some metal nuts--sounds like a good solution.

Back