What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 QB question

DDUCH

I AM READY TO ORDER EITHER THE FUSELAGE OR WING QUICKBUILD KIT. I AM THINKING THE FUSELAGE KIT SINCE IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO COMPLETE. I WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME THIS WINTER TO WORK ON IT. DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHICH ONE I ORDER?

Does not matter if you start one before the other , Vans knows what you have by your builder number . I built my fuselage before the wings .If you have the time , go slow build and save some $

Order the one that you can get the soonest. I had QB wings on my -8, because they had a set in stock and could ship them right away. At that time the QB fuselage was a 3 month wait. I ordered the standard fuselage and had it past QB stage in 2 months. It's entirely match-drilled.... practically a QB already.

Have fun!!

Yeah Scott, I thought the same thing. I did talk to the factory today and as of now, they have them in stock. I own a cropdusting service here in Arkansas so I have the time..thanks for the reply.

Yes it matters

Ask yourself: am I a skilled and confident fabricator eager to embrace a challenge ? Would I be a little bored after doing essentially the same several tasks over and over several dozen times ? If the answer is yes, then the fuselage is the kit for you to slow build. If you can only afford to quick build one of the kits, and you are seeking the quickest, least risky path to a completed aircraft, then the wing is the kit to slow build. IMHO, the fuselage kit is much more interesting and difficult, and fun. Every step and task is new and different, and has many more opportunities to screw up in new and different ways. The wing is arguably "do the same thing over and over" many many times. The wing is not trivial either, but once you conquer a few things you just step and repeat. Slow building the fuselage is a long series of new things to discover, understand, and then conquer.

Welcome to VAF!!

David, welcome to the good ship VAF
welcome.gif

Back