What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

De-Ice Used

mbauer

Well Known Member
De-Icing Used?

Wondering about how to de-ice before flight.

Wondering if anyone has used any of the "de-icing" windshield wash on their wings etc. for de-icing purposes.

Read some reviews on the stuff you can buy in spray bottles as well as gallons for windshield de-icers. The reviews say they haven't seen any paint issues.

Wondering if the Prestone or Rain-X windshield de-icers work on aircraft surfaces?

How about bearings at the flaps, ailerons etc., any damage?

Probably don't want to get any on the canopy for sure as they have methanol in them.

Checked at Aircraft Spruce-most de-icers cost a fortune but have Isopropyl alcohol and ethylene glycol as main ingredients.

What type of de-icer have you used in the past?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Used to buy Isopropyl by the 45gal drum, sprayed on with your run of the mill garden sprayers - worked fine for a fleet of everything from 150's to the Citation. Now it's getting hard to find IPA in reasonable quantities. I even struggled to find small quantities when I needed it for pre-paint wiping.

Thank You!

Used to buy Isopropyl by the 45gal drum, sprayed on with your run of the mill garden sprayers - worked fine for a fleet of everything from 150's to the Citation. Now it's getting hard to find IPA in reasonable quantities. I even struggled to find small quantities when I needed it for pre-paint wiping.

Thanks for the response! Found a thread where a woman mixed water with the IPA (91% rubbing alcohol) and uses a handheld spray bottle to apply to any ice on her windshield. Before after photos show a big improvement.

Thinking a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a spray bottle to mix in will work for my use. Tomorrow looks like a great day to test it out!

Read some warnings about using the methanol stuff on paint. Not a good idea!

Mike

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm not being snarky - it really does sound like you know what you're talking about and have the experience to back it up. But those of us who don't, simply follow what Vans says - which is that IPA (not the beer) is ok.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Acrylic_Canopy_and_Lexan_Window_Hints.pdf

How do we reconcile this?

The link I provided above mentions IPA can be used, although don't let it stay on for very long (page 2 of the PDF).

I prefer to go with No alcohol because I've seen what it does. For me its not worth the risk.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Back