What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harmon Rocket retractable seatbelts?

Gt-401

We have been doing a surprising amount of cross country flying in our 180 horse Harmon rocket, and it has brought up a couple comfort issues. One being, having to loosen the shoulder belts every time I need to switch tanks, or adjust the O2.

Does anybody have retractable harness installed?

Simpson says ...NO.

Just read a detailed article from Simpson harnesses, and I'm sure I remember them saying that retractables allow too much motion during a crash before they engage.
It was in June 2019 Sport Aviation...

Last edited:
Give the belts a good hard jerk and see how much slack there is before tightening. Probably be fine; this's what they're used for, after all.

Dave

A couple things..

There have been retractable harnesses for decades in many aircraft (all airliners) and a bunch of old warbirds, some of which are lockable when you are in turbulence, combat, ect. I have flown with them, and toyed with putting the airliner type in my -4 , but decided after bumping around on those bumpy days I was just fine setting my fixed harness to the required comfort level. I still have my airliner designed inertial reels on the shelf in case I decide to give them a whirl, and I believe they would handle a crash just fine (that's what they were designed for). Keep in mind, the attaching geometry is different, and may require unique mounting considerations.

Doesn't really answer the question, but I generally slacken the shoulder straps when in cruise. Take off, landing, or big bumps is the only time they are tight on a cross country mission.

Keep in mind that the distance between your head and the glare shield is quite a bit different than Boeing/Airbus/F???. That extra inch of give might just be too much.

A friend of mine installed these in his plane, and he likes them a lot, they have a handle to manually lock the harness, which I think would be good for aerobatics, or turbulence. They seem to be the best of both worlds. I'm just wondering if anyone has installed them in a rocket or rv-8? where could the inertial reel go?

Back