What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need recommendation(s) on an inexpensive ANR headset

I converted two David Clark 10-H30 passive headsets into ANRs via the Headsets, Inc. ANR conversion kits -- easy to do, relatively cheap and they work very well.

Consider used headsets. I got a Zulu 2 used from an avionics shop for an excellent price. It is much better than what I could buy new for the price.

Chris

I bought a couple of CRAZEDpilot CP-1ANR headsets a year ago, they're only $200 each and I've been quite pleased with them. I have never used the expensive ones, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but these are certainly much better than the passive sets that I've used. I find them to be comfortable, the clamping force is just right and the noise cancellation is quite noticeable when it kicks in with avionics power.

I too used the Head Set inc ANR kit. Works great
I recently purchased one of their complete units.
Very impressed with it. A great value at $399

Consider used headsets. I got a Zulu 2 used from an avionics shop for an excellent price. It is much better than what I could buy new for the price.

Chris

Any of the Zulu would be fine. I gave away TWO (2) Zulu 1 headsets for FREE to a young 24-year old pilot. One needed new ear seals but it is hard to beat the price he paid for any headset.

I bought a pair of the Crazed pilot ANR and sent them right back. They were just terrible
Went back to my ancient David Clark H10-40s, and the squelching sounds I heard every few seconds disappeared. Maybe I will try the Telec next.

I just bought a set of Pacific Coast Avionics ANR for the wife. I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet.

Price was right.

Other noise reduction strategies to consider-

Don't have to have top of the line.

I think that the reality with ANR is that, at least for new, you get what you pay for. The bang-for-the-buck strategy I’d recommend is buying used, one generation back, top of the line headsets, doing due diligence on their history, condition, etc of course.

You might also consider a couple of strategies that make any ANR headset perform better. RV’s are loud, and meaningful noise reduction is heavy and impractical. Maxing out performance of your ANR’s is worth some trouble. If you wear eyeglasses or sunglasses while flying, consider using “stop-gap” cushions like these at Amazon, it is a bit of a niusance putting them on the glasses for each flight, but the improved seal greatly increases comfort and ANR performance.

https://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-...19&sr=8-2&keywords=Stop+gap+eyeglass+cushions

I also insert the squeezable type foam earplugs in addition to the ANR’s and just turn up thevolume a bit so I can hear radio communications. These two strategies combined make a HUGE difference in fatigue levels, and Have solved a problem I was having with sharp tinnitus after long flights. Btw- I’m flying with new Bose A20’s, so even the top of line ANR’s need all the help they can get!

Last edited:
I decided to go used and bought a Bose X. I've been pretty happy with it but I wouldn't do it again due to the Bose customer service. I stepped on mine breaking the plastic piece that holds each ear cup. They won't sell you that piece but will charge you $225 plus tax for a not so full refurb. There is somebody out there who makes replacement pieces on his 3D printer which I did buy but found out the hard way that the melting point of the plastic he uses is too low to withstand a few minutes on an RV seat.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I would also suggest to NOT go "cheap" here. Buy the best headset you can afford. If you go cheap you'll just be upgrading sooner than later and you'll never recoup the money you spent on the cheap pair. Not to mention a good pair really makes flying more comfortable and allows you to hear everything better.

I have 2 pair of the Zulu 3 headsets and love them. I actually bought them as Zulu 2's about 4 years ago and just recently had them upgraded to the Zulu 3's. I talked with Lightspeed at SNF and they offered me a 2 for 1 deal on the upgrade because mine were plagued by the "sticky plastic" syndrome. They are even better than before.

Lightspeed's customer service is second to none in my opinion. They took very good care of me and my needs and turned the headsets around in faster time than they quoted me. It took 8 days door to door for the USPS shipping and the upgrade to Zulu 3 for both pair.

Lightspeed's flat fee for the upgrade is $200 to go from a Zulu 2 to a Zulu 3. You get a mic upgrade, new control box plastic parts, all new soft parts (new style ear cups and head cushion) and the new style kevlar cords. And if your headset is still under the factory 5 year warranty they extend the warranty 2 more years for a total of 7 years. :D

Awesome headsets and awesome company, they really take care of their customers. I highly recommend the Zulu headsets.

If you can pick up a used Zulu 2 for a good price then the upgrade makes sense and you'll be very happy you didn't go "cheap".

As stated by Hartstoc, you get what you pay for.

I converted two David Clark 10-H30 passive headsets into ANRs via the Headsets, Inc. ANR conversion kits -- easy to do, relatively cheap and they work very well.

I did the same conversion with the ANR kit from Headsets, Inc.
Great noise reduction, and excellent bang for the buck. Plus you get the added passive attenuation from the David Clark.

I did the same conversion with the ANR kit from Headsets, Inc.
Great noise reduction, and excellent bang for the buck. Plus you get the added passive attenuation from the David Clark.
I believe the instructions for the ANR conversion specifically require you to remove the original foam from the earcups, don't they? If so, that renders the passive attenuation much less effective. That said, I did the conversion. It works very well, but is my backup headset since it is not as comfortable as others.

I second the Headsets, Inc. ANR conversion.

I have three pairs, one of which is a child's headset. 800 hours later I still find no need to replace them.

I believe the instructions for the ANR conversion specifically require you to remove the original foam from the earcups, don't they? If so, that renders the passive attenuation much less effective. That said, I did the conversion. It works very well, but is my backup headset since it is not as comfortable as others.

They require you to replace the ear seals with Gel ear seals, included in the kit. They also come with new foam to put in the ear cups.

Back