What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Panel

I am in the final stages of planning the instrument panel for my RV 7A and I am looking for your input on the panel I have designed. Are there things I missed or should consider?

1. Mission short flights and cross country.
2. IFR capable.
3. Only glass panel no steam gauges.

nej33b.png

Here are the switches:
Start L R Both Start
Master Power Alternator
Master Power Battery

Landing light
Taxi light
Navigation Lights
Strobes lights

Auxiary fuel pump
Pitot heat

Elevator trim
Flaps

Interior lights
Left seat warmer
Right seat warmer

Dimmer

Auto pilot disconnect (is this on Dynon panel?)
USB charging port (4x)

Master Avionics (this may not be needed with Vertical Power XP)

Here are the components:
Dynon SkyView Dual SkyView IFR
Engine Monitoring
Two-axis autopilot
SV-AP-Panel Autopilot Control Panel
SV-KNOB Panel AutoPilot Knobs
SV-COM Com
AOA/Pitot
Transponder
ADS-B In
Back-up battery
Navigation Mapping Software
Synthetic Vision
VP-X Certificatte
GPS Receiver
OAT Probe
D2 Pocket Panel or a D10A
Vertical Power VP-X Pro
Wire Harness Kt
Mounting tray
Garmin GTN 650
Comant Cl-122 COMANT VHF COMMUNICATIONS
Transponder Antenna
ADSB antenna
ELT 406AP
PS Engineering PMA5000EX

Thank you for your input,

Peter,

One thing to consider:

If you have a tipup canopy, placing the audio panel as high as you did may interfere with the canopy latching mechanism. From what I recall, the depth to the subpanel is about 8 inches, and typically the audio panels with backshell connectors will extend beyond that (plus will be routed to all the avionics).

Looks like a highly capable panel. Good work.

I'm laying out my panel as we speak. Mine is very similar to yours with exception to the Garmin radio and the transponder.

What size Skyview displays are you using? I'm going with two 10" displays. I spent a good amount of time yesterday pouring over mechanical drawings and laying out the displays on the actual panel. I'm centering each display on the two original vertical screw mounting holes as they center with the sticks that way. I'm also moving them a little lower to clear the angle along the top backside of the instrument panel. It looks like you have a lot more room along the bottom of your panel for the switches than I do. I noticed your panels are inset so that may be why you have the appearance of more room at the bottom. I'm seriously considering a sub panel along the bottom of my instrument panel just to give more room to the switches as it is getting pretty congested down there.

I also agree with what the previous poster mentioned. I think your audio panel is too high on the panel for the canopy jettison/latch handle.

Are you cutting the panel yourself or sending it out for cutting?

You might as well go with the Dynon transponder and save that space in the panel, since it is remote mounted and controlled from the EFIS.

Looks pretty nice!

I will say the trim switch will be used a lot during flight and it needs to be easily activated without looking at it or hitting another switch. Takeoff's, adding flaps in the pattern and go-arounds all require trim and head up and outside.

Now is the time to develope your checklist from engine start to landing and do some garage flying sitting in your airplane and running through the checklist with your proposed panel and see how you like it. Simulated seat cushions will work and don't forget how restrictive the shoulder harnesses can be.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a USB port for each Skyview display on my panel. Makes updates and Seattle Charts/Plates much easier to use. I can't imagine trying to access the built-in ports at rear of each display.

Consider the Trig remote transponders that do ADS-B out.

Also, for switchology, my fuel pump and flap switch can be activated by my right hand while it is on the throttle. Fuel pump with the thumb and flap with my index finger. No special stuff, just location choice.

My 2 cents

I agree with Bruce on the Dynon remote transponder. It integrates very nicely with the EFIS display and has auto ALT mode that switches to ALT on takeoff and back to STBY upon landing automatically.

Dynon recommends a switch or circuit breaker for autopilot power in case of a malfunction. I have servo power through a VP-X but don't want to fumble through the menus if I need to kill the autopilot NOW.

I agree the USB connectors on the panel are very handy. You may want to consider a USB power port for a phone or iPad charger.

I also have switches for interior lights; baggage and panel.

Consider the Trig remote transponders that do ADS-B out.

Also, for switchology, my fuel pump and flap switch can be activated by my right hand while it is on the throttle. Fuel pump with the thumb and flap with my index finger. No special stuff, just location choice.

Ditto!
Master/ignition/start on the left, lights including dimmer in the middle, fuel pump/trim/flaps reachable with hand on the throttle and seat heat/cabin heat far right.
9B9D3E8F-00F9-4E1B-A65C-A97B93352C54-31868-000011FD84E2B5EE_zps78baaaad.jpg

I also agree with what the previous poster mentioned. I think your audio panel is too high on the panel for the canopy jettison/latch handle.

Forget about the jettison handle...it's likely too high for the *canopy* (ask me how I know this). Remember that the forward part of the canopy frame will drop down a couple of inches when the canopy is lowered, and any radio which extends too far back and sits that high will prevent the canopy from closing.

Great Panel Comments

Thank you for the sage advice on my RV 7A panel. Here is a composite response:

NTex: I will check the clearance close;y and move the radio stack down.

drone_pilot: These are 10" displays. I used the XPanel 5000 software to arrange the components. They may not be to scale. I will print and past the the components on the actual panel.

bruceh: I am planning on Dynon transponder. The XPanel did not have an icon for it so substituted one.

crabandy: The check list is a good idea and I will put the pump and flaps close to the throttle. And move less used switches further to the right.

Bob'sRV6A: I will add USB ports on the panel for data access,

rzbill: Added the Tostten CS-8 Aircraft Grip.

Warm regards Peter Wells

I understood that the Ethernet cable between the two Skyview displays was to allow software updating to both panels while using only one panel mount USB port. Is that correct? I don't understand why you would need one USB port for each display. I do understand adding an extra USB port for power.

One way to solve the 'audio panel too deep' problem, and to save a few dollars, is to consider if a good intercom, with unswitched inputs, plus a toggle switch to select a transmitter, would meet your needs instead of a full blown audio panel.

Have you considered using the new Advanced Quick Panel? If Oshkosh sales, all the emails and the phone ringing off the hook are any indication, they are going to be very popular.

14867369653_0b92ecd172_c.jpg

or
14847489535_615d151cf1_c.jpg

The USB data ports on the panel are used for maps and charts data storage.
The AF-5000 based panel uses the PS-Engineering remote audio panel.

More information can be found:
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/Quick_Panel/Quick_Panel.html

When you add up the actual cost of all the individual components you will find that for just a marginal amount more, we've done all the work for you.
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/Quick_Panel/Building_a_Comparable_Panel.pdf

I understood that the Ethernet cable between the two Skyview displays was to allow software updating to both panels while using only one panel mount USB port. Is that correct? I don't understand why you would need one USB port for each display. I do understand adding an extra USB port for power.

The Ethernet cable updates the mapping data between screens, it does NOT update the software which must be done separately on each screen using the USB port. Also, if you want approach charts they must be put on a USB stick and attached to each screen that will be displaying the approach charts. You will need access to each screen's USB port.

Is the 3rd Artificial Horizon overkill? You do have redundancy with two screens if you have two ADHRS.

Back