What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight testing step procedures

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
Hello fellow RVers,
I am very close to first flight. I plan on doing it myself. I am wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure of each flight test. Eg. Flight 1,2,3 etc. something printed would be great.
Any advice welcome.
Mike
RV7A
N771MK
Five years, 1,400 hrs, quick build
IFR panel, O-360 carberated , fixed pitch
Not painted yet

See FAA Advisory Circular AC 90-89A and also find your local EAA chapter flight advisor. It is his job to help you with this stage. Mine had test cards that were very helpful in combination with the 90-89 above.

Hello fellow RVers,
I am very close to first flight. I plan on doing it myself. I am wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure of each flight test. Eg. Flight 1,2,3 etc. something printed would be great.
Any advice welcome.
Mike
RV7A
N771MK
Five years, 1,400 hrs, quick build
IFR panel, O-360 carberated , fixed pitch
Not painted yet

I have recent experience in this and my advice to you is you're already looking too far ahead. Your first flight should consist of nothing more than to verify "it flies". If things are going well during that flight then maybe it should last a 1/2 hour or so, or a few laps around the pattern. Then land and take the cowl off to check for leaks. Once you have that under your belt you can move on to other things.

Most importantly you need to be mentally prepared, which includes NOT overwhelming yourself with extra stuff to conduct on the first flight. Just fly it. That's it. Done. Go through checklist in your head, go through emergency procedures. Chair fly the entire flight. Have a ground person but not an audience. Conduct the flight when it feels right, somewhere between under prepared and overly psyched out, or too nervous. For me, that came on a Wednesday, 2.5 weeks after my airworthiness. I did it the next day, Thursday morning, and only told my wife the night before and was back at work by 11:00 Thursday, fairly anticlimactic but that was the intent.

Last edited:
Back