What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank End Ribs

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I?m looking to build a set of tanks for the Rocket and was cruising the Vans site for RV-8 tank end ribs since RV-4 parts are no longer listed. Curiously, there is a T-803-R, but no T-803-L. Is this same part used in both ends of both tanks? I?m thinking the difference is the direction of flanges or embossed stiffeners.

Even curiouser, there is an equivalent R and L for the RV-7 (T-703-R/L). I thought these were essentially the same wing? Additionally, the -7 part is considerably more expensive.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

The RV-4 tank parts are not listed on Vans site, but when I called found them to be in stock, and inexpensive. T-403-R/L for end ribs, and flanges face out. Interior ribs are T-404-L for left wing, T-404-R right wing, and face outboard.

When you call Vans they will gladly email you RV-4-17A Dwg(Fuel Tank)if you request.

May still be available

I?m looking to build a set of tanks for the Rocket and was cruising the Vans site for RV-8 tank end ribs since RV-4 parts are no longer listed. Curiously, there is a T-803-R, but no T-803-L. Is this same part used in both ends of both tanks? I?m thinking the difference is the direction of flanges or embossed stiffeners.

Even curiouser, there is an equivalent R and L for the RV-7 (T-703-R/L). I thought these were essentially the same wing? Additionally, the -7 part is considerably more expensive.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

I just went through this building new tanks for my 8 with the "old" wing.
As mentioned, there should be a left and a right. Although all models have the "same wing", there are differences in the size of the ribs due to changes of the main spar with different models over the years. If the part is not listed on "the list", it is likely out of stock. Call and ask, in my case a couple parts had to be made so it took a few weeks.

Scott A Jordan

Thank you gentlemen. I'll give Vans a shout tomorrow and hopefully grab some parts.

I am a bit worried about the availability of the earlier parts, as they seem to be selling off and not replenishing. As an example, I needed a new aileron for the Rocket and have to adapt the RV-8 unit. No big deal except for the differences in the spar (the -8 has the big lightening holes, the -4 is solid), and my neighbor snagged the very last -4 spar they had. Fortunately, that's an easy piece to make.

Thank you gentlemen. I'll give Vans a shout tomorrow and hopefully grab some parts.

I am a bit worried about the availability of the earlier parts, as they seem to be selling off and not replenishing. As an example, I needed a new aileron for the Rocket and have to adapt the RV-8 unit. No big deal except for the differences in the spar (the -8 has the big lightening holes, the -4 is solid), and my neighbor snagged the very last -4 spar they had. Fortunately, that's an easy piece to make.

A customer can still order RV-4 kits (Including the wing) so he may have gotten the last one in stock at the moment............

A customer can still order RV-4 kits (Including the wing) so he may have gotten the last one in stock at the moment............

OK, that's great. It would be even better if the people on the phone at your end knew that. I was distinctly told (by Vans) that many of the RV-4 parts were being replaced with RV-8 parts, and the -4 stock was NOT being replaced. In addition to my tank ribs, I'll be ordering a -4 aileron spar tomorrow to replace the one in my -8 aileron kit.

Back