What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N962MC finally flies after engine/prop issues

mcattell

Well Known Member
Yesterday afternoon my RV-9A finally flew after 5 years under construction. I opted to have Mike Seager do the first flight since I?m a very low time RV pilot and I could get a good evaluation of its flight characteristics from ?The Master?. Everything went well and Mike reports that it flew well without any tweaks required. I then took it for my first spin. After being a Cessna driver for almost 25 years I couldn?t be happier with its performance and visibility. Of course I returned with a big RV grin and can?t wait to fly it more.

P1030472.jpg

RVGrin.jpg

My first flight should have happened months ago but I?ve had a few unexpected delays. It?s really quite unbelievable but you can?t make this stuff up. First of all I had an issue with my new IO-320 engine. I was unable to get the CS prop to cycle when testing the engine. After a couple weeks of trouble-shooting I finally had to remove the engine and ship it back to Aerosport for repair. Long story short, they found a defect in the ECI engine casing which relieved oil back to the sump that was supposed to go to the prop. Bart said he had never seen that before. They quickly replaced the engine casing and returned the engine to me for reinstallation. A few weeks later with the engine reinstalled I was finally ready for that first flight. No one wants to see their airplane look like this after installing a new engine.

Engine2.jpg

My next issue was with my composite prop and somewhat embarrassing. In the interest of aviation safety awareness for others I?ll admit to this. We had just put the cowling on to prepare for flight when we noticed something rubbing the cowl. We then fixed some clearance issues with hardware on the spinner back plate and put everything back together. I decided to check it one last time by rotating the prop by hand. It all happened very fast. I?m guessing that I let go of the prop thinking that it wasn?t in compression and then leaned forward to verify clearance behind the spinner. Unfortunately about that time the prop let go and smacked me on the head as it did a partial spin. Wow, does a head wound bleed a lot. Mike decided that with a blow to the head and that amount of bleeding it would be prudent to call 911. As a precaution I laid down on the floor in case I got light headed. It was at that moment when I was laying on the floor and looked up at the prop, only to see a chip out of the trailing edge. That?s right; my head is hard enough to break a prop. Seeing the chip was worst than getting hit in the head. Shortly thereafter I got a trip to the hospital with the lights and sirens on. All ended up being fine after a CT scan and having a 4? long cut in my scalp sewn up. I was lucky that my ego was hurt more than my head. The story doesn?t end there. To add insult to injury, UPS damaged the other blade in shipping to the prop manufacturer for repair. The box was thrown so hard that the blade penetrated a layer of plywood in the end of the box. That damage was more cosmetic and could be easily repaired and painted. The prop manufacturer wouldn?t warranty the chipped blade if repaired so I opted for a new blade. Six weeks later, almost $2000 for a prop repair and $14,000 for a hospital visit (I do have medical insurance) I finally got the prop back. Now I?m not sure if I?ll ever feel comfortable flying into an unpaved strip for fear of chipping that fancy composite prop. So lesson learned; be careful pulling that prop through while working on your canopy during construction unless the plugs are out.

PropDamage.jpg

So after my long story perhaps you can understand why my first flight was a real milestone. After flying yesterday all those previous issues are being forgotten and looking forward to being a new RV driver. The wheel pants are in primer so in a few weeks I?ll be 100% done and will have more time to fly.

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0220-1.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Congrats! Great looking plane and panel, too. Guess you should be thankful that you had a composite prop instead of a metal one -- I'm betting that you wouldn't have broken a metal prop and that your head may have sustained even more damage. Glad you survived!

Have fun in Phase One! :D

I did the same "prop on the head" thing with a friends RV-6A and his McCauley CS prop years ago. He had keyed the prop such that it was completely horizontal when the engine was shut off. I was pulling the prop through before he started the engine (he hadn't flown yet and wanted to taxi to the pumps).

Long story short, I had to lean over so far to get the prop through compression that I stumbled on the second or third blade. The prop whacked me in the top of the head, but thankfully through my ball cap. It was a compression wound, and although it bled a bit, it only took a squirt of cyanoacrylate at the hospital to close me up (and that trip is free here in Canada).

I'm hoping the echo heard around the airfield came from his fuselage and not my head :D

Nice job! The plane and panel both look great. Boy do I sympathize with you on the prop and what body parts can do to a blade....Like me, I'm sure you'll be extra carefull around those blades in the future! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Congratulations Mark on your first flight and for building such a beautiful plane!

I'm on the final stretch now but with all the highs and lows I couldn't even imagine going through what you did at the very end. I'd probably be in the nut house.:rolleyes:

I agree with the others

Nice plane. Nice paint. Nice colors. Nice design. Nice panel layout. Nice avionics selection. Nice interior. Nice everything.

To me, your plane looks outstanding.

Congratulations on your 1st flight.

Wow, what a story. One thing we learn is that the past is past and that ole grin just gets bigger!

Congratulations on a beautiful airplane and perseverance as well. Not to mention that we can all learn from these experiences.

A few issues like that could possible may the grin much bigger than average!

Fly and Smile;)

Fantastic Plane

You did an outstanding job Mark and it shows. Hopefully all the bad luck is behind us. See ya in the air.

Randy
8A

WOOOWW!!

Big congrats with the first flight and a beautiful plane!!
Very nice paint-scheme and the panel looks great! It gave me some ideas for my own panel too.

Seeing the details on the pics tells me that this beauty is built by a builder with high attention to details. :)

Your story was almost unbeliable! I can't imagine all this happening to one guy! Like the others here, I hope you now have all the bad luck behind you and that blue skies and tailwind will be the rule from now on!

Enjoy your plane and phase one!

YEA!! Airborne!

Sorry to hear of all the trouble! Airborne at last! Hope you're able to get the flight testing squared away before the big rains set in.
(I'm the guy who picked up the Chap105 scales from you).
Mike

Thank you for all of the nice comments. I had a lot of help with the painting from my friend Clarence who spent a lot of time helping me spray the final color. I would have never expected it to take so long to paint an airplane. Plus I still have lots of hours of buffing ahead of me. Now I know why it cost so much to hire it done.

Mike, I saw also saw your airplane on Van's first flight reports. Congrats to you as well. And Wow, talk about a nice paint job!

Sweet...

Congrats on getting in the air. Now it's time to give you suggestions for a call sign.

How about "Blade"?

Congrats!

Great looking craft Mark!

I'm with Jim though, I'm thinking you need a call sign.

Maybe "Chip" or "Whackjob"!:D:D

Thanks for all the call sign suggestions. I think 'Blade' is probably the most flattering. I did receive my old chipped blade back last week. I'll have to frame it and hang it on the wall.

Now for my next challenge. Repairing a leak on one of the 'Quick Build' fuel tanks. At least I got a few hours flying in yesterday. I pulled the tank off last night and it's ready for repair. I'm sure glad I took some advice from Don Wentz and removed the tank screws prior to painting.

Look'n good!

Hey Mark, was great to have breakfast together at 7S5!
What a great day in Oregon to fly! You're plane is looking great!

markcattell.jpg

Too weird

That's pretty weird how our call signs, paint schemes and panels are so similar for being on opposite sides of the country.

Mark

Back