What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Control Routing

jaradtke

Well Known Member
I?m planning on installing an IO-360 with a Superior cold air sump on my 7A. I would like some input on the location of the firewall penetrations for the throttle and mixture cables.

Drawing 19 lists the throttle location, but does that location work for the horizontal induction? I can?t find any fuel injected mixture locations referenced on any of the DWG or OP drawings.

I?d like to get these holes drilled before installing the engine mount.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to bump this question back up. Jeff asks a good question pertaining to his choice of engine, but mine is a bit more generic. Recently I traded PM's with a builder who chose different exits from the cabin for his throttle and prop control. Because he is going with an EFII, his throttle location is different and the governor location was in the rear of the engine so he chose a different location for the hole for the prop control.

Is it important to drill these holes before we have an engine hung, or can we wait until we are ready to run the lines before drilling?

My setup is a bit different in that I have a vertical sump but with a horizontally mounted FI servo via a 90 degree elbow supplied by Don at AFP.

I ended up having to order the longest mixture cable Vans offers and it was just long enough.

I believe the standard location for the throttle will work fine for you but it will depend on the installation of your fuel servo. It can be installed with the throttle on the right, left or bottom.

Here are some pictures of my setup that may or may not help. Hopefully someone with a -7(A) with FI and cold air sump can post pics as well.

rL7lEPdh.jpg

YshsXiRh.jpg

ijHbTMCh.jpg

Drawing 19 includes the penetrations for an IO-360-M1B which is a horizontal injection servo engine. I cannot speak to a non-Lycoming sump.

Imminent

Jeff I have exactly the same setup and I'll be running my control cables later this week, I'll let you know if you like.

Btw, it's no trouble to make these holes with the engine in place.

Simon

I have some photos and dimensions on my build log; link below. Engine is an IO-360-M1B on an RV-7. I used all custom cable lengths because I have a throttle quadrant instead of push-pull controls. I recall I also moved the firewall penetration for the prop control cable outboard about an inch to help with the cable bend radius.

I have the M1B and used the Vans firewall penetration points and Vans cables. The throttle seems a little tight as it is quite straight, but it is by the Vans book. I don't have a clue how that engine compares to the Superior.

To the specific situation, don't worry too much about the engine mounts. I hung the engine and then mounted the frame to it on the hook. It took about 20 min solo. 40 min to get the bolts torqued and cotter pins in though :eek:

It was easy to connect the engine with mount to the firewall and remove it several times. This way you can forget things and still go back where it is easy.

Thanks for the replies.
I just wanted to check if the openings listed on drawing 19 work for the horizontal induction, because it doesn?t delineate between vertical and horizontal and I would think there is a difference. :confused:

Back