What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8 dogs in an RV-6A

rjaflys

I knew that would get your attention. It's true. Sat. Jan 15. New Iberia, La. to Mariana, Fla. 6 Lab mix puppies in a large soft crate in the baggage compartment and two Heintz variety in a medium crate where the co-pilot seat goes. The Lab mixes were 12 weeks old and getting big but the soft crate worked well. This my first experience with a soft crate. It was supplied by the rescuer in New Iberia. It fills the entire baggage compartment, but does not have to be taken apart to get it in the airplane. It works like those heat reflectors that go inside the windshield on your car. It folds perfectly flat and when opened it springs into a big box that has a zipper door on the front. I would not have been able to fit the load in a regular large crate. That was my 5th. trip to Mariana. This time I met Rick, the owner of Gulf Coast Avionics, who travels in a beautiful Seneca with more glass in the panel than in a china chop. Final destination, Lakeland, Fl. The Lakeland SPCA is always looking for puppies to adopt out. Thay are a "no kill" shelter. Bob Albrecht, RV-6A N-436JE rjaflys@@aol.com

Last edited:
I fly out of New Iberia

Next time you come into New Iberia, give us a head's up. There are two RV's on the field and quite a few around. It is always good to meet another RVer,
especially one dedicated to such a good cause.

S S Anderson
187 hours RV-7A
Lafayette, La

Soft dog crate

Don, try this for info on the soft sided crate. www.mightypets.com

Sorry about no photos, but I'll try to do better next time.

Steve A. I fly out of Lumberton, Ms. and have to go to New Iberia to pick up the animals, so if any of you guys in New Iberia would like to deliver some small dogs to me in Lumberton (just south of Hattiesburg) it would save me some "out of the way" time. Bob.

Good work Bob. Our RV-10 is back on the job in the South East for three months again this year while we are at St. Simons Island, GA. We did 16 puppies from 5 different liters today MAI-SFB. It's hard not to take a couple of them home.

Maybe we should do another PNP RV pilot's round up at Jekyl Island again this year.

Dick Sipp
RV-10 N110DV 310 hours

Good reminder Ron, we always separate puppy liters, and use solid crates that are disinfected after each use. We only use our big soft sided one for more mature travel mates.

It is nice to have my wife along who is very animal knowledgable, does most of the trip coordination, paperwork, and photos. This lets me concentrate on flight planning and flying.

While we are on vacation down here in GA we try to do as many trips as we can.

Dick Sipp
RV-10

Back