What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do the RV-10 and RV-14 do in IFR?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
I've posted that the RV-9A is too light to reasonably go through all but the smallest summer cumulus, and an RV-8 driver has reported similar experiences. Hence, it's likely that the RV-7 will be similar, and I know that my RV-4 was really bad in turbulence with the light wing loading.

So how well do the RV-10 and RV-14 do IFR? My guess is that the more sedate RV-10 would be the best of the RVs for IFR...

Ed

Like anything else, the faster you go the more rough the chop. The -10 does an OK job of maintaining the heading, but in the end, if it seems too rough, slowing down helps a bunch.

-Marc

Last edited:
In my experience summer cumulus are bumpy no matter what. I try to avoid flying through them as much as possible by either deviation or altitude change, but eventually penetration is inevitable so I tend to slow down to Va unless they are very small buildups

My 6 is like the 4 you flew. It is a handfull and a roller coaster ride in cumulus clouds. I flew in a 10 a few months ago and while we didn't go through any clouds, I found it handled the typical convective turbulence quite a bit better than the 6. It was noticeably smoother. No surprise I guess, given the 1000# and 8' wing span advantage (or disadvantage, based upon your perspective). I can only imagine that traversing cumulus clouds would be a tad gentler as well.

Larry

I just got back from a 1200 mile vacation trip in the -10. We saw our share of IMC and yes it is a decent IFR platform but no plane blasts through summer buildups at 170 knots well.

Mark

Yes, both are wonderful airplanes in their own rights, but the key is to slow down in the bumps. The ride is better for all occupants. :)

They are both great instrument platforms, and I highly recommend the use of an autopilot. It's not mandatory, but sure eases the workload.

I just came back from Florida today in the 10 at 14K'. It kept us above all but the really large CB's off to either side of our path, and we were on top of everything else and in the cool, dry air. When it was time to come down it was just through a 2K' thick layer that started at 6K' and had no vertical development. I still slowed down and it was a nice, smooth ride.

Both of them have the capabilites to help you avoid the nasty stuff. :)

Vic

Back